Author Topic: Rescuers lead ice climbers off ledge!  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Rescuers lead ice climbers off ledge!
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/local-news/95390-rescue-022613

Interesting headline... Apparently 3 climbers thought that they were on Central, but actually were on Yale!!!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Rescuers lead ice climbers off ledge!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
I know I've climbed a few climbs and found out later it was not the one I thought.  :) I Have to get them credit that they had all the gear they needed to hunker down. I wonder if in daylight they would have found a way down?
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »
Glad it turned out ok but, what happened to the days when you bucked up and spent the night when you are properly prepared as they were? Just saying.

darwined

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Glad it turned out ok but, what happened to the days when you bucked up and spent the night when you are properly prepared as they were? Just saying.

+1.  Total Bullshit to get plucked outta there!  Since when did a night of discomfort become a qualifier for a rescue?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

LOL.....
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »

Just think positive. They probably read dman favorite avy danger condition and it was probably low...

So, what can happen to them???

And the forecast don't talk about a lot of snow in the day: "Total snowfall accumulations of 6-8" are likely across the higher summits, with most of this falling late tonight and tomorrow."

They was perfect (sarcasm evidently). Why should they bail at three when we can call the rescue at 6h40????

experience climber what a lead. be positive.

darwined

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »

They probably read dman favorite avy danger condition and it was probably low...

http://youtu.be/gcIvPTJis5E

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
RE:
...what happened to the days when you bucked up and spent the night when you are properly prepared as they were? Just saying.

Cell phones (and better coverage) happened.

This was a simple navigation error. They were from Texas, first time in the ravine, wanted to do Pinnacle, it was too busy, figured Central would be a nice consolation prize, visibility was poor, and being un-familiar with the area climbed the wrong gully. They had no idea how close they were to Damnation Gully, but without rock gear or knowing where they were they chose to call. I'm glad the rescue went smooth before the bad weather really arrived.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
This was a simple navigation error.

Three guy make a mistake. They climb about three hundred feet to the right of where they where supposed to climb. Not climbing fast enought, without knowledge of the mountain and without study the route they climb, taking risk with poor visibility, unable to rescue themselve by going down or climbing with head lamp. It is o.K

A woman who walked the Mt Jackson with the wind in her back, reaching the top, turning back with the wind in her face and realizing that she undersestimated the strongnest of the wind, able to stay all night long in the mountain, and went back home on her own feet with some route finding help.

It is amazing... what you said dangerous is not and what you said its safe is dangerous??? I can't beleave it. 

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
I never said it was "ok", just that their biggest error was not knowing where they were, or which way to go. Same as Jackson woman, but this time on technical terrain. Both parties could have definitely been more self-sufficient. Jackson woman only needed a map & compass to figure out which way home was... and these climbers should have re-considered climbing unfamiliar terrain in bad visibility... I think we are of the same opinion here Lucky even though you love to ride on my back... please get off.

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
There is a similar thread on VFTT if anyone would like to share over there without the babbling nonsense.. 

Champ. go sit on a ledge overnight in a snowstorm to see how it goes. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
Champ. go sit on a ledge overnight in a snowstorm to see how it goes.

Now you've done it.... Champ sleeps inside wind shadows and avalanches so your threat carries little weight I'm afraid...

DLottmann

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
There is a similar thread on VFTT if anyone would like to share over there without the babbling nonsense.. 

Link? I tried to become a member of that site before but the application process bogged me down :)

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
go sit on a ledge overnight in a snowstorm to see how it goes.

I was trap at the summit of a mountain, 3500 meter, in a tent for a day and walk out, with avalanche danger more dangerouss than mt washington (knife blade arete), I was in heavy wind that I can not stay in my feet (it took me two hours for a twenty minutes trail), I was close to wet avalanche who blow my tent, i was caught in small slab avalanche, I sleep outside at minus 30 C, which is pretty much the same in farenheit, I climbed over four thousand meter, with rarefaction of oxygene,

I climbed mt washington very often and mostly in bad weather because the chalenge is more at my level. I climbed with partner well trained and able to follow me.

I know Mark synnot and Doucet probably and I am sure that they did a very good job, but they won't rescue me, except if I have a bad luck. In that case, I will assume every think,

One danger for me is that I make mistake because of your wrong information. I suspect to have high danger and as I go to the cliff in extreme avy danger....I found nothing. As they are nothing, I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!!