NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: avalanches  (Read 4855 times)

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: avalanches
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »

Avalanches are dangerous...stay out of them.  :P

The "Superficial Statement / Rule of thumbs" alarm just went off down at the office of training.
You will hear from the director on this one. Oh man. :-\
Don't Climb

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »

I'm trying really hard not to post yet another gif but you guys are not making it easy on me.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »

Last weekends course saw some awesome Surface Hoar and the graupel in the ravine from last Friday provided a fun Rutschblock.

http://davidlottmann.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/aiare-1-avalanche-course-3813-31013/

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »

Sorry couldn't help myself...

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

Sorry couldn't help myself...

JBrochu....how did you find the footage of my high school talent show???
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

darwined

« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

I'm really not trying to start another pissing match here, I just wanted to share a personal experience from Katahdin.  I think traveling in avalanche terrain is somewhat like walking a tightrope.  You only get one chance.

Last week, I spent the week at Chimney Pond with the objective of climbing Cilley-Barber.  In the three days leading up to our arrival the mountain saw 26 inches of new snow which came in on light(under 15mph at the pond) north winds.  It suffices to say we were a bit surprised by the volume of snow on the headwall when we arrived. :o On the first day we basically chilled at the lean-to all day watching snow blow off the ridge and sluff down the gullys.  Some of the gullys showed obvious signs of avalanche activity.  The days were absolutely BLUEBIRD(32 and SUNNY), some of the best weather I've seen in the mountains.  For a couple days we climbed(pamola cliffs) and skied areas we felt relatively comfortable with.  We'd heard the weather was going to change so figured it was now or never. 

Not wanting to head up the route willy nilly we decided to dig a pit close to the base of the route.  We found a weak layer(hoar) at a depth of thirty centimeters.  During our compression test we were able to initiate a failure of the column by easy tapping.  With this info we decided our last day would be better spent hiking.

When we arrived back in camp we learned that someone had sent Waterfall Gully that day.  I'm not saying they were wrong, it just wasn't a decision I was prepared to make.  I'd be lying if I wrote that my ego wasn't a little bruised on the way back out of the park.  It was wonderful and humbling learning experience in a beautiful place.   

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »

I'm not saying they were wrong, it just wasn't a decision I was prepared to make.  I'd be lying if I wrote that my ego wasn't a little bruised on the way back out of the park.  It was wonderful and humbling learning experience in a beautiful place.

Can you identify the bed surface and the exposition of the slide? Is it a place where you can belay your partner safely? Is it a route where you can bail safely? Where is the no return point? What is the steepness of the route? is it corniche on the ridge?

I'm not saying they were right, it just that there is other tools than digging. Knowing that an avalanche can be trigger, I will use different climbing technique than the only good one triangle position.     
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 23 queries.