NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Things Insulight jacket  (Read 1259 times)

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
Wild Things Insulight jacket
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

Does anyone have experience with these jackets?

I am thinking of getting one and looking for some feedback....

Are they warm enough to use as a belay jacket in the whites ice climbing?

Any weight specs or comparison to a similar brand?

Compressibility?

How do they compare to something like the MHW hooded compressor for warmth?

Thinking this may be a good jacket for a trip to the pacific northwest this summer....overkill?

Thanks!
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Wild Things Insulight jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »

I don't have that jacket but I do have their guide soft shell pant and jacket, their belay jacket, and their wind pro hoodie. All awesome quality. I cramponed the pants and they patched Em for free. Also I smashed a pack buckle in my car door and they replaced it for me even though it was my dumb ass mistake. Awesome customer service and it is supporting local:). Just my 2 cents
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »

No insulated hood = not a belay jacket IMO

I use this all over guiding ice and back-country skiing on Mount Washington:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12403734&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.12019738

Super good deal, great jacket, but ya, I work there, so read the customer reviews and decide.

Also... I always suggest to go puffy and big with belay jackets... think of it as a contingency plan for un-expected bivies...

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »

i own a similar, older version of this jacket, with hood. Nice and warm, light.. I don't know about it as a belay jacket ? The belay parka is pretty warm though.
WT really seems to have perked up with  CS recently.

I have used their stuff since '81

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »

The <Wildthings> belay parka is pretty warm though...

agreed, it’s all I used ice climbing from 2001 to 2007. Loved it... just a bit pricey, but that’s part of shopping “made in USA”

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

I have a Marmot Ama Dablam puffy that I use as a belay jacket and it is very warm and light. My only complaint is that it is not very resistant to precipitation. Gets wet quickly in a heavy snow.

I love my WT power hoody, I just got it and already it is my new favorite jacket!

You can customize the insulight jacket with a hood and choose your amount of insulation.

Maybe I will just pull the trigger, I am sure I will like it.

Thanks guys!
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »

Still have my WT Belay Parka (7-8 years now anyway)...still in great shape, but I find I grab my Rab Neutrino 90% of the time especially if a long approach is expected. It is down, insulated hoody, very lightweight and you can compress it into a nalgene bottle (just about)  ;)

Very warm piece of kit, and perfect for the northeast IMHO. When I am guiding at the north end or Frankenstein I will generally grab the WT Jacket...a bit more roomy and just as warm, but a bit heavier and less compressible.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

TC

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »

Similar to Grammy, I've had a WT Belay Jacket for about 13 years now and love it - but use it sparingly these days.  Most of the time I take my Patagonia Micro Puff Hooded Jacket.  It's synthetic (100g Primaloft One), just over a pound, packs down pretty small, and keeps me warm enough on all but the coldest belays (everyone's different though).  Depending on the options you choose for the Insulight, it would be very similar.

If you like WT and want to keep it local, get the hooded 100g Primaloft One custom version of the Insulight jacket.  If you're looking for other options of midweight (at least 100g) synthetic hooded jackets (and I agree with Dave that the hood is a necessity), check out the TNF Redpoint Optimus, or the Rab Generator Alpine.  There are different versions of Primaloft, and those jackets are two of the few remaining midweight synthetic jackets that still use Primaloft One - which is the top of their line.  They also have a good cut and feature set.  (FYI - WT uses Primaloft Sport in the stock Insulight and even the Belay Jacket now, Patagonia uses Sport for the latest Micro Puff Hoody.  It's less expensive but not as thermally efficient.  MH uses their own proprietary insulation on the Compressor, I don't remember the name of it though.)  There are several new synthetic insulations coming out next fall if you're not in a hurry, and water-resistant down is going to be everywhere it seems.

The last thing I'll add (if you haven't been bored to sleep yet), is that if you go with the custom Insulight, see if they will make it without the Powerstretch or WindPro side panels.  Those fabrics are great for breathability and mobility - neither of which is needed for your belay jacket.  You want it to be warm, durable, and wind PROOF.  Ask them to make it with the insulation all around, like on the stock version.

Hope that helps.

Tom   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 23 queries.