NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannon after rain  (Read 709 times)

john5

• NEClimbs Newbie
Cannon after rain
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

A quick search didnt really turn up much, but how fast does cannon cliff (more specifically, Whitney Gilman and Moby Grape)  dry out after a day (say approx 1") of rain?

Would it be climbable (enjoyable) the next day? or day after that?  Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Much thanks.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Cannon after rain
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »

Most of Cannon can be slow to dry. WG can be first, Moby later, this time of year could be several days.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »

It really depends on the time of year and obviously how overcast it is. Late May through early September, the cliff will be good to go the next day. It won't be completely dry, but dry enough. This time of year, the cliff can easily take several days to dry out. 

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »

It really depends on the time of year and obviously how overcast it is. Late May through early September, the cliff will be good to go the next day. It won't be completely dry, but dry enough. This time of year, the cliff can easily take several days to dry out.

Yep! And now that the nights are getting longer and colder, the ground will be beginning to seep, so it will take a bit longer to dry than it does in the warmer drier summer months.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

Yep! And now that the nights are getting longer and colder, the ground will be beginning to seep, so it will take a bit longer to dry than it does in the warmer drier summer months.

Ice! Ice, ice, ice, ice, ice. Here's hoping this is the year I get to do Omega, so seep, baby, seep.

As for the rock, who cares, Cannon is a choss pile. (Granted, the only rock route I've done on it is the WG twenty years ago, but all I've got to do is look up when I drive through the notch to see that, yep, that's a f&#king choss pile.)

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »

Pappy-- that's the talus slope-- look up really high :)

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

Pappy-- that's the talus slope-- look up really high :)

It was probably in the fog

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »

Papy.  Much of the WG you climbed 20 years ago is in that talus pile :-[

bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »

Pappy- Walk on the Wild Side- many pitches of compact, perfect New Hampshire granite, awesome. Its true there is one looming razor flake looking like it may come down soon, but that one is located just right of the climbing- mid route.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »

Somebody, I don't remember who, recently did the Direct/Direct and told me that that pillar rock formation below the Cows Mouth, (6th pitch, I think), moved 6 inches, when they went around it. That bit has always been suspect. Hope it doesn't take anyone out in the future.

If I was younger and more energetic, I'd go up there and pry it off with a pry bar. You could get a clear view below to check out the base for climbers. Who knows, it might add another 5.10 pitch to the route.

john5

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I opted for this over starting a new one.

So, I never made it out to cannon last fall, due to illness.  Im looking to head there this spring.  I realize its different every year, depending on the winter, but typically, is cannon a wise choice over May long weekend?

darwined

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »

Depends.  Pay attention to the weather between now and May.  The Old Man fell on May 3rd if that's any indication.

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »

I remember when Jamie and I decided we wanted to climb the Dolomite Wall. After getting to the bottom and looking up, we immediately agreed that the original line looked chossy and we should explore the interesting looking corner system to the right (plus it had a lightening bolt finish crack!)
We worked that first pitch together for 3 years. Never finished it.

I went back a few years later with my goomba Monty and finally led the entire route. The first pitch I figure was hard 5.10.

The entire "new" first pitch fell down 2 years after I'd climbed it.

Cannon is an onion peel for sure.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

When was it that Fugue fell off ?

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »

When was it that Fugue fell off ?

I climbed it two or three years ago and it is still good. I didn't climb the lasr pitch whih look like very hard to protect, with a ground fall, Finished on the left. One of my favorite. The big flake and the diedral in the second pitch are very sustained.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:29:35 AM by lucky luke »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 23 queries.