NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: definitely "safe"  (Read 1680 times)

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
definitely "safe"
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

or controversial.

You climbed an obvious right-facing flake/corner to an overhang and after you know that you have to climb it to the right. Your last protection is five feet below your feet. No beta on the protection, no beta on the move: 5.10 on-sight.

What do you need in your bag of trick to go over the overhang? There is no bolt.

I would say, for example, enought strength first, and will ask how I can evaluate if I can try it safely. It is a real route that I climbed and strenght was mandatory. 

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: definitely "safe"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »

Been on any nice routes lately, Luke? What did you like about them? Any areas others might not know about that you would suggest people check out? I have only been to a handfull of places in Quebec, but that was years ago. I have been wondering what they are like now.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

When doing 1st ascents, this situation is pretty typical,---has been for generations.

Remember that old saying, "( when in doubt-run it out)".

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

What do you need in your bag of trick to go over the overhang?

confidence

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

Stem

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

Confidence, gumption, good technique, and a good belayer.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »

What do you need in your bag of trick to go over the overhang?

confidence

+1
A nice low humidity day is a bonus. Irrelevant though when confidence is high.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »

Magic 8 ball?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »

That's right; a good luck charm never hurts! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Re: definitely "safe"
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »

Don't Climb

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »

Magic 8 ball?

ALL 8balls are magic , Mark

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »

Yeah buddy.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:27 AM »

When doing 1st ascents, this situation is pretty typical,---has been for generations.

In that particular route, I remember that I had anticipated the movement and went to a rest...it was a 5.9 move rest (not good at all) and I had to anticipate the next movement. It was an hand crack in the overhang where you switch your feet from the left to the right, grab the corner and layback, if my memories was good. So much fun...as a first ascent. yep!

I agree with run it out, and it takes balls to do that, but there is a time when you had to decide that run it out is too dangerous? or you decide to solo the route. I used the fall factor and I evaluated the distance of my fall, or I take a look higher and come back to my stance to rest. How do you decide when it is time to run out or solo the move?

I don't like "confidence". It is too subjective for me. You are confident in a 5.11 because there is a bolt, but I saw a guy who can't climb wedge, 5.6, at whitehorse ledge because it was too run out...and wet also...that particular day. I saw a guy in slab direct (5.7) that fall on the firs move and he was a climber of 5.11 too. I don't know about you, but don't you think that the word confidence is too subjective?   

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »

In that particular route, I remember that I had anticipated the movement and went to a rest...it was a 5.9 move rest (not good at all) and I had to anticipate the next movement. It was an hand crack in the overhang where you switch your feet from the left to the right, grab the corner and layback, if my memories was good. So much fun...as a first ascent. yep!

I agree with run it out, and it takes balls to do that, but there is a time when you had to decide that run it out is too dangerous? or you decide to solo the route. I used the fall factor and I evaluated the distance of my fall, or I take a look higher and come back to my stance to rest. How do you decide when it is time to run out or solo the move?

I don't like "confidence". It is too subjective for me. You are confident in a 5.11 because there is a bolt, but I saw a guy who can't climb wedge, 5.6, at whitehorse ledge because it was too run out...and wet also...that particular day. I saw a guy in slab direct (5.7) that fall on the firs move and he was a climber of 5.11 too. I don't know about you, but don't you think that the word confidence is too subjective?

Of course it's subjective. What's also subjective is that you can actually make the move, regardless of the run out. If every move you try you make, climbing would be rather boring no?

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »

"Climbing well" , maybe just climbing is, in itself, subjective. 
Confidence is of course subjective measure, gained through training (trad, sport, boulder, gym, etc), repetition, and experience gained through days on rock.  Not thru debates on the Interweb, I am sorry to say. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.