NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What choice for a 2nd rope for full length raps????  (Read 1221 times)

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
What choice for a 2nd rope for full length raps????
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »

Looking for a 2nd rope so I can accomplish full length raps.
So I am wondering - am I better off just buying say - a double rope for this or a 7mm line for this?

I am a little concerned if a 7mm rope is 'beefy' enuff vs. say - even a 8.2 or 8.5mm double rope - which could always 'double' to be used
as a double rope for double rope climbing IF I ever want to go that route.

Any suggestions?
Michael Urban, RN

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: What choice for a 2nd rope for full length raps????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:33:33 AM »

I have found rapping on two significantly different diameter ropes with an ATC type device to be slower and more jerky because of the lower friction and more stretch the thinner rope offers.  I climb mostly on singles.  When we need to do 50m or 60m raps, we bring a skinny second rope, like a 8.5mm or 9mm.  YMMV.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

Interesting....thanks for the info.
I think despite the weight of my 2nd rope that is a 9.6mm Sterling I will just use that instead of thinking about buying a 8.2 or 8.5mm rope for this purpose!
: )
Michael Urban, RN

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »

Saving $ is almost always good but as I said YMMV so let others offer their viewpoints before deciding, Michael.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »

Unless top-roping with groups, I climb on a 9.4 single 100% of the time, and if I need a tag line carry a 9.1mm single... this is perfect in areas where you might need to lead back up to fix a stuck line (Looking at you Red Rocks)

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »

That's a good point! One never knows if they might have to re-climb up a route if a rap rope gets stuck, etc.

Michael Urban, RN

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

The big diff withan 7-8mm tag line is make sure it's  static line.. this eliminates the uneven issue rapping. i have used a static tag line for years.

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

OK thanks,
and a 7 or 8mm tag line would be 1/2 the price of a 9.1 or 9.6 single rope, etc. and much lighter in weight as well!

Michael Urban, RN

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

Ah, yes, thanks John for the tip about a 8mm static line.  Learn something new today.
But like DMan, when we were in RR, we climbed on a ~10mm single and hauled our skinniest single, just in case we need to lead on it in the event of a stuck rope.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »

Looking for a 2nd rope so I can accomplish full length raps.
So I am wondering - am I better off just buying say - a double rope for this or a 7mm line for this?

I changed my rope every year when I climbed often. So, I used my old rope to rap. Cheaper, a little bit heavier, but safe. As a beginer, I wonder if it is not a good idea to learn to bail with a 50 (150 feet). You learn to look where to rap when you are leading to find good anchor, there is generally a lot of them on 5.6 or 5.7 route. It is also a good thing to protect the trees with a sling. The water use the canalisation on the bark of the trees to go from the soil to the leaves, if you cut the canalisation (see phloem and xylem), you will kill the tree.   

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

NO , learning how to rap with a 150' is plain stupid..

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »

OK thanks,
and a 7 or 8mm tag line would be 1/2 the price of a 9.1 or 9.6 single rope, etc. and much lighter in weight as well!

Mammut Pro cord is awesome and of course $$$.. it lasts longer and is very low stretch

DLottmann

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »

NO , learning how to rap with a 150' is plain stupid..

But learning about phloem and xylem is relevant?

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

i thought he meant phlegm and  Xylophone

Noobs need LONGER ropes in case they screw up..not shorter

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »

Noobs need LONGER ropes in case they screw up..not shorter
+1.
Also, at newer areas, belays are put in assuming climbers have a 60m rope.  Well, not even that new as 60m has been the norm (even in the East which lagged out West a few years in 'adopting' 60m) since the mid 90's.  I bought a 60m Galaxy in '95.  It was an odd-ball length 55m rope in '93!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 23 queries.