Author Topic: First Aid  (Read 3212 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
First Aid
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
i was going to put this in general climbing but..

i wonder how many people have any kind of first aid/ first responder training ? i assume ? that the guides on this site have at least this and more.  WFR ? WEMT ??

I think SOMETHING is essential for anybody that spends time on the rock and ice.

i have to re-up my FR and just noticed that SOLO does Wilderness First  Aid courses.. 2 days $160 seems like a good deal to me.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: First Aid
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
WFR
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
I took a full blown college level EMT program back around '98 for the sole purpose of being better prepared to handle a climbing accident. In retrospect, I probably would have been much better off with the SOLO WFR. I hardly remember anything from the program at this point.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
I am a Nurse but I was a Paramedic before that. I'm not sure of everyone needs to do a $160 course. At least get a basic first aid course from the Red Cross; hell even just read the book! I do think if you get further into any activity that takes you to remote places you should ramp up your skills so you can be as self sufficent and safe as you can be.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Ed-i agree,, but get something.. i think it's a general climbing thing..

of course I cheat-- regular partners are a trauma Doc ,RN  and WEMT
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:51:50 PM by strandman »

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
I don't have any formal training but my girlfriend is with me 95%+ of the time and she is an EMT... At some point soon I will likely go for a first responder course.

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
...2 days $160 seems like a good deal to me.

Hell yes. WFA should be the bare minimum for those who spend time in the mountains... WFR for anyone who wants to lead trips, care for others, etc...

I'm WFR, 3 times re-certified... re-cert again this April...

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »
I aggree that a WFA should be a base for everyone. However I have to say that the class costs are getting expensive; NOLS has it from $135-$220. I would love to see a one day clinic for $75. It could be a totally non-cert class but built for climbers/backcountry skiiers who want advanced firstaid skills.
Heck if I could figure out the frame work to do it I'de do a 10 hour class like that for climbers.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
WFR. SOLO. great course. took it last year.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

darwined

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »
WFR

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »
18 years as a street EMT, working for a volunteer ambulance corps in CT, now WFR, which I find more applicable to my climbing and general back country activities-- another big plus vote for the training at SOLO-- when I couldn't fit in an EMT recert, I took their WFA course to have an active certification for my guiding; so impressed with the level of the training they give ( I had recertified as an EMT 7 times) that I went back a year later and took the full WFR course, which I'll recertify next year. Definitely worth the $!

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »
I aggree that a WFA should be a base for everyone. However I have to say that the class costs are getting expensive; NOLS has it from $135-$220. I would love to see a one day clinic for $75. It could be a totally non-cert class but built for climbers/backcountry skiiers who want advanced firstaid skills.
Heck if I could figure out the frame work to do it I'de do a 10 hour class like that for climbers.

For those tight on money there are excellent books out there for under $20... as far as course cost goes I think you often get what you pay for... higher cost courses usually have higher certified or experienced trainers, who provide better quality courses than some volunteer teacher... Just sayin’, is $175 for 2 days of professional instruction that could last a lifetime (and possibly save a life) really that expensive? Some people blow more than that on a night out in town... never mind the additional medical costs associated with a poorly splinted leg or complications from improperly moving someone with a spinal injury...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:03:22 AM by DMan »

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
Is it Wilderness Medicine ? or a similar title / I have this book and it's really good stuff

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
I am a Nurse but I was a Paramedic before that. I'm not sure of everyone needs to do a $160 course. At least get a basic first aid course from the Red Cross; hell even just read the book! I do think if you get further into any activity that takes you to remote places you should ramp up your skills so you can be as self sufficent and safe as you can be.

Agree. some times they are full equip in courses and can not help the leader when he hurt himself. When I was climbing in remote area, nobody around 20 miles away, I told my second to do nothig to save me...so he won't be hurt. 

Never think that I was self sufficent and as safe as I can be, but I am still training other things than climbing hard...

courses create an obligation to be a first repondant, without courses you are protect by the good samaritan law. For me, climbing practice is better than taking a first aid course...althought I can know a lot of thing (aid nurse for eight year) by studying, in a 90 degree cliff, without any thing, it is hard to immobilize the climber any way. 

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »

i know  some guides who used to do a day  thing, with rescue , first aid etc....  I think it would be well attended.