NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident on Standard Route on Saturday  (Read 4522 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Accident on Standard Route on Saturday
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

I don't know what happened, but I understand that there was a very serious accident on Standard Route today. are there any details?
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

Re: Accident on Standard Route on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

Some folks who assisted on the carry said it was a solo climber...

Not sure if it was related but everyone still getting after it should know things went from soft/easy to weird/brittle following that 2 days of rain then very cold temps... Standard was a total walk-up 5 days ago, but is probably a bit “dinner platy” now...

Again, no idea what happened here... just saying heads up for those still getting out there...

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

Victim appeared to be mid fiftys No ID and not able to communicate that info? soloing and fell from below the cave to the RR tracks hitting a good sized rock just before the tracks and possibly a tree as well. seemed in very serious condition with troubble breathing. the carry was smooth and fast with lots of folks helping and at least one SAR member & EMT on scene.

Standard center and right looked stepped out and very casual? standard left looked detached, baked and dangerous. Hobbit looked a bit detached? Pegasus Rock finish was excelent with the Hobbit start. The Pegasus pillars looked ready to fall at any moment. Smear looked reasonaby safe. lots of very dangerous conditions out there right now and a few safe options for the experienced climber. be aware that baked out hangers from the top of standard  and many other areas can kill you standing at the base...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:21:55 PM by tradmanclimbz »

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

Standard center and right looked stepped out and very casual? standard left looked detached, baked and dangerous. Hobbit looked a bit detached? Pegasus Rock finish was excelent with the Hobbit start. The Pegasus pillars looked ready to fall at any moment. Smear looked reasonaby safe. lots of very dangerous conditions out there right now and a few safe options for the experienced climber. be aware that baked out hangers from the top of standard  and many other areas can kill you standing at the base...
ice was bad few weeks ago in standard, many of us had already call the season.

Hope a fast recovery for him

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »

I do not know if ice condition had anything to do with This fall? The ice in the area that he fell from was blue, stepped out and very easy looking.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:00:51 PM by tradmanclimbz »

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:53 AM »

The ice on standard was quite good up to, and out of the cave (on the left). All of the ways up the route looked very stepped out and seemingly "easy." We cut right over to the penguin, which was in the best shape I have ever seen it.
On our way out there was a dude who asked us if we a going to do standard route and asked if we would guide him. He seemed pretty confused and kind of "odd," but I attributed it to maybe not knowing English too well (champ?). He was wearing blue pants and a blue jacket.  Could this have been the guy who fell?
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »

On our way out there was a dude who asked us if we a going to do standard route and asked if we would guide him. He seemed pretty confused and kind of "odd," but I attributed it to maybe not knowing English too well (champ?). He was wearing blue pants and a blue jacket.  Could this have been the guy who fell?

Wow, scary. Whoever it was hope they fully recover.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

yes that is the guy. he asked several other climbers for a belay.

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »

Punx I had the same thoughts after reading this.Kind of sad hopefully he recovers alright.
bailing is not failing!!!

Woody48

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »

A friend and I climbed Standard Route on Friday.  I thought it he ice was in decent shape except for the top pillers being a bit baked out.  This is terrible to hear about an accident like this.  I hope this gentleman pulls through.
Woody

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »

Slink, I think i should have insisted more forcefully on $100 to take him up. JK

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

let's try and keep this thread focused on the actual topic PLEASE!!!!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »

Is there a news story out there as to how that guy it's doing? In retrospect, I wonder if he had a bit of dementia.

Big brother is watching

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »

What post was not on-topic Al?

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

Punks is bringing up what several folks said that he did not seem right, seemed to have a hard time walking and did not look solid at all climbing? this is just hersay from me as I did not encounter him before he was hurt. I was not going to mention this but folks are going to speculate anyways so there it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 23 queries.