Author Topic: Spring not here yet!  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Spring not here yet!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
spring is most assuredly not here yet, sadly IMNSHO
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
Indeed... I was on Pinnacle Gully on Sunday... Didn't look like spring at all !

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
Sunday was C O L D!!!!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
just seeing these replies, Angeloks, I like the photo but I'm trying to figure out the action... first glance I thought the subject was rappelling, but closer look he looks hard-knotted in on a long tie-in?

Offline angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
just seeing these replies, Angeloks, I like the photo but I'm trying to figure out the action... first glance I thought the subject was rappelling, but closer look he looks hard-knotted in on a long tie-in?

He's rappelling down indeed. The sling was anchored on a rock, backed up with some screws. I then removed everything and went down on 2 Abalakov. The 12mm lens makes the sling look longer that it is...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:41:11 PM by angeloks »

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
ah, that makes sense

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »
Talked to Stegg this morning, he was headed out to go ice climbing. In north GA. Global warming I guess.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
Pappy, isn't N.GA one of the previous states of the USSR? I'd expect it to be cold there. :)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
Talked to Stegg this morning, he was headed out to go ice climbing. In north GA. Global warming I guess.

All those injuries must be getting to his head   :-*

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »

All those injuries must be getting to his head   :-*

The funny thing is that most of his injuries are not climbing related, like the time about ten years ago when his crew dropped the top of a tree on him. He said he knew he was in trouble when he got to the hospital and the doctor's first question was whether he had a living will.

Although he did take an 80' fall last winter when the ice in the water groove he was climbing disintegrated while partaking in that peculiarly southern pastime: 'time bomb' ice climbing. (My finest example of this was a new route I led with Doc and Mark that collapsed catastrophically 90 minutes after we rapped off. We were still at the base. I tried to hide behind about a 4" high rock and Doc tried to hide behind Mark while many, many, tons of ice crashed to the ground about 20' away. It's not many who can say they nearly got whacked by an avalanche in NC. So we named the climb Graphic Violence, and for some reason I understand it's never been repeated. Can't imagine why.) Anyway, I was down this last T'giving and as I followed him into Big Green I realized his leg was...bent, from the fall, he said. Which had me somewhat concerned since we were supposed to go do the Cassin this May. But he climbed and hiked just fine and appears to continue to be indestructable. Later that day we were swapping stories and this winsome young thing 20 years our junior (sigh), said, 'With all these stories, don't understand how you guys are still alive,' and Shannon said, 'Ah, they're all blown our of proportion.'

I thought about that for a second and said, 'Dude, I don't think the Psycho Mother F#$ker incident is blown out of proportion. I don't even think it's possible to blow it out of proportion,' and he allowed as how that was probably true. As someone once said, 'God keeps Shannon alive for the amusement value.'
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
ya- shannon climbs with my buddy Jeff a lot.. 2 crazy MFO'S