NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Finest Solo  (Read 2649 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Your Finest Solo
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »

Fuck all of you-- you have to see in person... i'm going down there thursday.. MAYBE she will pose for a good tip.. i don't want any heart attacks from you old fuckers

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:32 PM »

I'm havin palpitations already.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »

John is such a tease, worse than this cute bartender of his!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 08:40:52 AM »

Elephants Head Gully the first day climbing with those old blue Salomon boots that really changed "movement over ice." At least for me at the time. Bloodline and Duofold at Newfound. Pinnacle Gully. Skyladder route on Mt Andromeda. Never really felt comfortable soloing rock except easy stuff in a alpine setting - real easy stuff. The only rock solo I can think I actually did was Pete's Tree, a 5.4 on the lower slabs at Pawtuckaway (could be completely wrong on the name). Totally gripped at the time.

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »

A memorable solo I did was the Cain Route on the Bugaboo Spire. I couldn't seem to find a way around the giant gendarme to the left- a 5.6 VERY airy slab. So I opted for the right side which is a dead vertical (if not slightly overhanging) 5.8 fist jam crack. Although harder, it just felt more secure.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

The Kain route was probably my best solo, too, though inadvertent. Mark was carrying a rope, but every time my sphincter puckered up he was too far ahead to call for a TR! Bastard.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »

I seem to have done harder free solo's in my later years, but I was proud of my on sight solo of Yellow Ridge, back in 1966.

Although not technically too hard, soloing Mt.Blanc, from the valley of Chamonix, in February, back in 1971, was quite an effort, and pretty crazy.

I had one of my best days in the mountains last summer, soloing the Upper Exum, on the Grand Teton, car to car in 10 hours, at the ripe age of 66, arthritis and all.

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »

I soloed the Upper Exum years ago. Ten hours car to car is very respectable. And you're obviously 66 years young Steve.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

I had one of my best days in the mountains last summer, soloing the Upper Exum, on the Grand Teton, car to car in 10 hours, at the ripe age of 66, arthritis and all.

Way beyond respectable....you are a machine!! now when are you taking me out the Winds???
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »

remember the Llamas to carry your booze

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »

remember the Llamas to carry your booze

lol...good call!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »

Unfortunately, I tend to spray/brag, unlike a few great climbers I know, who are extremely humble.

I know most guys would put down their "hardest" solo, but strange as it is, I did a better job after 50 years old.

At 55, I soloed Cro-Magnon, at Crow Hill, but it really isn't that impressive, since I already had done the route close to 1000
times.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »

Not to bad SA-- for an old guy  :)  Cro is really 10+ ??  I met Eric and Al Rubin there when I was just a pup.  Niland soloing Jane BITD is still awesome

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

I think Cro is harder than Jane :)
Especially after one gets all the secret Beta for Jane from Eric (who must have climbed it at least 1000 times).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

Maybe-- i have lead Cro, clean ONCE and jane,, semi clean ONCE.. fuckers.Jane is way  harder than Airation  ,, 2 letters
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.