NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Finest Solo  (Read 4987 times)

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Your Finest Solo
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »

Spiders and bats pappy. There aren't many people that don't jump when one of them comes straight towards them. 
Add to those mice and snakes.  I had a couple of close calls with these down at The Gunks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:19:20 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »

I learned from that one. About ten years later I was climbing this 10+ crack corner in AL. I get to a stance before the crux and get a last good piece in where the crack snaps shut. About 12' up, the crack opens up again and there is a stonker bucket hold. It's just not far enough to warrant the added stress of tweaking in some brass POS, so oh shit, I'm going for the bucket. 12' of highly stressful continuous techy tweaking stemming and I grab that sucker, pull up to chin level to start thinking about getting some gear, and this fucking flying squirrel pops out of the crack, runs down my arm, and launches into space. It happened so fast that I can't really say that I 'thought' anything, but I had the sudden sensation of that spider and was not letting go.

And it's a good thing, too. 'Cause after I got my shit together--and it took a while to get my shit together, I do not suffer these kinds of things stoically--I look down and my belayer and a buddy are just rolling on the ground laughing their asses off. They couldn't have caught shit. I'd like to think they at least waited until I got my shit together.

No, she and I had a long run, but we've moved on to better things.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »

Put my fingers in a bees nest in a  thin crack on the lower beer walls. pretty run out looking  at 40+ footer and suddenly I am swarmed in bees. stayed ultra calm, plugged in a blue alien while I was blowing on the bees that landed on me. as soon as i had the gear in I boogied 10-15 ft pluged something decent in and brushed off the rest of them. Only stung 4 or 5 times... Intense.

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »

Ken, I always thought impressive is your solo of the West Rib of Denali and Mt. Assiniboine.

My finest solo, Ken, on ice/snow was the Italian Climb (Scottish grade 4) (links to Tower Ridge-before the gap) on Ben Nevis, Scotland.  I spent a winter climbing in Glen Coe and on the Ben.  Soloed many 3's and 4's. Rented Allan Wedgewood's (on FA of Sam's Swan Song, Reppy's, and other Cannon climbs) Cottage along Loche Levin outside Glen Coe for 5 quid a week ....many an evening knocking down Ales with local luminaries-most memorable night with Joe Brown holding court!

Also, quite a few ice climbs in the Adirindacks up to grade 4.

Rock: Solo cruising both up and down, bare foot, all the facets of Chapel Pond Slabs. Quadraphenia, Hurricane Crag, ADKs.
         Lakeview, Con Prize, wiesners, funhouse to upper refuse.
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

...Early 90s out in JTree a bunch of us soloed the Bong under a full moon what a beautiful place and the bong was fitting for the occasion...

Only been to JTree twice but always run up an easy route on the Blob for beers at Sunset before rapping to camp... If I lived near Red Rocks/JTree I would solo a lot more I think...

I would love to run up Solar Slab in fair weather sans rope... 2000 feet of pretty damn solid 5.5.... guess you need a rope for the decent though...

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

Yot could do the Girdle of Whitehorse,, rope only for the rappel halfway .. bring a string... fine climb

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »

Ken, I always thought impressive is your solo of the West Rib of Denali and Mt. Assiniboine.

My finest solo, Ken, on ice/snow was the Italian Climb (Scottish grade 4) (links to Tower Ridge-before the gap) on Ben Nevis, Scotland.  I spent a winter climbing in Glen Coe and on the Ben.  Soloed many 3's and 4's. Rented Allan Wedgewood's (on FA of Sam's Swan Song, Reppy's, and other Cannon climbs) Cottage along Loche Levin outside Glen Coe for 5 quid a week ....many an evening knocking down Ales with local luminaries-most memorable night with Joe Brown holding court!

Also, quite a few ice climbs in the Adirindacks up to grade 4.

Rock: Solo cruising both up and down, bare foot, all the facets of Chapel Pond Slabs. Quadraphenia, Hurricane Crag, ADKs.
         Lakeview, Con Prize, wiesners, funhouse to upper refuse.

How about headlamp solos up Chapel Pond? Those were the days huh James?
My best rock solos were all pretty much on Cathedral. There's too many good pitches I can think of... Thinner, Turner's Flake, Pine Tree, Bombardment, Three Birches, Black Lung. I guess you could say 5.8 was my comfort level.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

I've soloed most things at Frankenstein, Willard (not Madness tho) and the Tablets at Willoughby (mopowers will remember one day). I don't solo rock any more. for some reason I got really spooked one day on Fun House. that pinch move just above the finger crack on P1. I feel so much more comfortable on ice...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »

I do remember that day Al. That is the only time i have soloed ice. Although, i have done a few ice leads that sure felt like a solo.

My hardest rock solo was Steel Monkey, 5.9, at Wheeler. It has a slippery slab crux that i had fallen on before. Not sure why, one day i got it in my mind that it was something i had to do. It was enjoyable and a good learning experience. I came away from it knowing that i am no soloist. I even wore my helmet and kept looking around to make sure no one was watching. I felt a bit silly. I enjoy pushing myself in the company of friends much more.

The most enjoyable climb i have done without a rope is a route J-Tree. I believe it is called The Eye. Its a long pitch, dead vertical and rated something like 5.2. I found it extremely fun and much like climbing a stone ladder. 

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »

Has anyone solo'ed the Southwest Buttress (or Eichorn Pinnacle) of Cathedral Peak over at T. Meadows, CA?  Or roped-climbed it or both?  Looks great and pretty exposed(?).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

Mo- the Eye is great at night as well, it would be right at home in the Gunks.

Eichorn is a fine climb,  I brought a rope, I think there is a short rap ? Snake Dike in the Valley is fun. it's really easy, WAY easierthan Sliding board with the same grade. it's like x-country running on perfect granite. Do WH Standard  twice  and add 14 miles of  hiking

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

For ice it would have to be the Penguin, and rock Funhouse to Upper Refuse. I don't solo much rock anymore these days...not sure why, but I do solo a ton of ice now. Very different feel but a similar mind set.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

Years ago I soloed the Whitney Gillman. That was pretty cool.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

Grammy- soloing ice = drinking alone ??  ;)

Ken- the WG is a really fine solo, it takes like 30 minutes.

I used to do the LH start to funhouse then finish up P2 of 3 Birches , Lookout Crack to finish... scares the shit out of the tourists.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »

Grammy- soloing ice = drinking alone ??  ;)

Ken- the WG is a really fine solo, it takes like 30 minutes.

I used to do the LH start to funhouse then finish up P2 of 3 Birches , Lookout Crack to finish... scares the shit out of the tourists.

WG is insane Ken!! nice work. I have been doing a lot of drinking alone Strandman as I am in the throws of a divorce (12 years) unreal
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.