NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video: Colorado man survives avalanche  (Read 857 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Video: Colorado man survives avalanche
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »

On March 2, 2013, Alex White and Joe Philpott were caught in an avalanche. Philpott died -- improbably, White survived.

very interesting video...

http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/player/bcpid63625388001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAADe65VU~,G496cZ36A_VfLp_hMeonEvZJ8gBAVEOa&bclid=1419798684&bctid=2266788316001
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

Re: Video: Colorado man survives avalanche
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

Cool video, and great job by the rescue team, and amazing for such a long burial survival.

Seems the CAIC may still be piecing together an official report but I dug this up from the CAICís website:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=497&accfm=rep

Unfortunately I canít link directly to the archived bulletin from the day but a few key points in it:

"Strong, gusty west and northwest winds drifted Friday's snow and added to the wind slabs drifted earlier in the week. Expect to find touchy wind slabs several feet thick. You will find them on most slopes, even open areas below treeline, with the most extensive drifting on north to east to south aspects near and above treeline. Deeper in the snowpack, persistent weak layers remain a concern. The persistent slabs over the weak layers have become stubborn and harder to trigger. If you find the wrong spot you could trigger a very large, destructive avalanche. Avalanches in the recent wind slabs could step down and pull out larger avalanches.Ē

"Snow & Avalanche Discussion
Recent avalanche activity indicate problems at the top and bottom of our snowpack. Over the past week, snowfall and wind have combined to form wind slabs in the upper snowpack. There are old weak layers buried deeper in the snowpack. While getting stubborn, once triggered they produce large or very large, destructive avalanches.
Expect to find touchy wind slabs on many slopes near and above treeline, and some open slopes below treeline. Wind slabs are two or more feet thick, and observers report that they were touchy and easy to trigger. The winds that formed the slab were from the west to the north, so the deepest drifting will be on north, east, and south aspects. Expect to find cross-loaded terrain features on all other aspects, including gullies on westerly aspects. There were periods of gusty valley winds and you will find wind slabs on open slopes below treeline.
The recent wind slabs drifted on top of persistent slabs and deep persistent slabs. The weak layers are facets in the lower snowpack or depth hoar at the bottom. These slabs have become stubborn and harder to trigger, but if you find the right spot, the result will be a large and dangerous avalanche. Avalanche mitigation work on Thursday triggered very large, destructive avalanches (R4D3) with debris piling 12 feet deep. Observers find hard and clean test results. Last weekend there was a large skier-triggered avalanche in the Vail-Summit zone, a reminder that people can still affect the weak layers.
You can trigger one of these large avalanche by starting a smaller avalanche in the wind slabs, or by hitting a thin spot on the side or lower edge of the persistent slab. That makes it easy to move from relatively safe to very dangerous terrain with just a few steps. You should approach all avalanche terrain with a healthy dose of caution, careful evaluation, and a large margin for error.Ē

The aspect they were on was East Facing at tree-line... while it hasnít been declared human triggered yet, and may not be, that choice of terrain given these conditions... well, very glad someone survived...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:42:46 PM by DMan »

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »

Many more reports and case studies for this season and previous season can be found here:

http://www.avalanche.org/accidents.php

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Just saw this on AIAREís FB wall regarding this accident, some great first hand reports from the survivor:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22909077/colorado-skier-felt-life-fading-during-3-hours

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »

On March 2, 2013, Alex White and Joe Philpott were caught in an avalanche. Philpott died -- improbably, White survived.

very interesting video...

http://videocenter.denverpost.com/services/player/bcpid63625388001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAADe65VU~,G496cZ36A_VfLp_hMeonEvZJ8gBAVEOa&bclid=1419798684&bctid=2266788316001

On the reports, they said:  The largest snow fall was on March 1, the day before the accident, with 6 inches of snow and 0.6 inches of SWE at the Cameron Pass and Joe Wright stations

which is what I said, after a snow storm, it is more dangerous than when the snow storm happen. the avy danger most be higner... in washington, they did the contrary, that let people think that they are less in danger than what it is in reality.

in the video, we saw a blue sky. that and the fact that the weather was not good all this winter, as we have in our mountain, make travel more dangerous.

DLottmann

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:47:39 AM »

which is what I said, after a snow storm, it is more dangerous than when the snow storm happen. the avy danger most be higner... in washington, they did the contrary, that let people think that they are less in danger than what it is in reality.

Dude, avalanches happen most often DURING storms in Maritime snow climates... how do you not see that?

Dozens of avalanches in ONE storm two weeks ago... how is that not dangerous?

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/2013/03/22/weekend-update-for-march-23-24th/

Largest avalanche in Tucks of the season happened during a storm:

http://davidlottmann.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/029.jpg

How is that not dangerous?

Stop saying it is ďmore dangerous after a stormĒ, that is a false assumption/generalization.

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

Do you guys know how fricken pissy the two have become? Dman if I could give some advice......... get a life outside of this web/vortex you have fallen into.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

Takes me a minute or two to rebuff a stupid comment. Sorry if it bothers you. I have an obvious issue ignoring false info, maybe I can find a support group.

Shepherds Pie

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »

Takes me a minute or two to rebuff a stupid comment. Sorry if it bothers you. I have an obvious issue ignoring false info, maybe I can find a support group.

You can't even take helpful advice without some psychological compulsion to get in the last word.  STFU, please.

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »

Do you want to include a name to your post before telling me to STFU? Or delete your account again and move on if it bothers you that much?

Iíve had plenty of members here who donít vocalize on the forums thank me for info Iíve contributed here. Iíve had many tell me to look the other way when Champ sprays mis-information. I try hard to be respectful and I shouldnít have called his comment ďstupidĒ, but he repeats it often and it is fíing incorrect.

Sorry I called it stupid, not sorry I called it wrong.

Mike G, Iím trying man... thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:45:54 PM by DMan »

Shepherds Pie

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »

You mean like a self titled blog that I can use as a sig and include a second link to in virtually every post?  No.

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »

You mean like a self titled blog that I can use as a sig and include a second link to in virtually every post?  No.

Figured... itís easy to insult people and tell them to STFU behind anonymity...

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »

What are ya gonna do Dman? Find out sheps name and give him all of your energy as well? I think the thing your missing here is when you get so obsessed over who is right and who is wrong your cred goes in the crapper. Nobody wants to sort through the BS. Move on man, get another hobby.

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »

Iíve liked that on this particular site many who stand behind their convictions are happy to attach there names to their posts. The simple act of not hiding behind a fake identity lends credibility IMO. Iíve gotten better though... I can ignore ALL his posts regarding FoTH, Sport vrs. Trad, experience vrs. whatever... Iíll keep trying to ignore his posts about avy stuff, but it ainít easy...

sad this has nothing to do with the OP

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »

David,

Lets make this very simple and straight forward - no ambiguity.  You constant know it all attitude - especially with things that are not as black and white as you portray - is irritating.

Your constant pushing of your agenda - EMS courses etc. - under the guide of public service announcements is annoying - falls into the category of "you can fool most of the people most of the time..."

Your continual bragging about certifications and training and the implication that they trump experience goes against common sense.  Although Champ obviously ruffles a lot of feathers around here I think most people realize that he is a good experienced climber and actually a lot of his points have merit.  You come across as threatened by that.

My advice - which I am sure you will ignore - is to chill for awhile.

Eric
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 23 queries.