NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: modern definition of trad  (Read 3779 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: modern definition of trad
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

i think calling ken a blinkered, sport climber is a bit much..

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »

You understand that some people could agree with the old mentality and want to have a modern definition of trad climbing. You enter in the thread to make diversion and oblige every body to climb like you.

You forget the word horses. With a "s" as in plurial.

If you don't know what is a "horse with blinkers", it is "3. either of two leather flaps on a bridle, to prevent a horse from seeing sideways".

As usual, you change the definition to destroy what I am saying. Blinkered means "Having or showing a limited outlook: "a small-minded, blinkered approach". A horse with blinker will go straight forward until you told him to go to the right or the left. That means that you keep just what prove that sport is better and insult, humiliate any other way of thinking. It is not a small minded, it is a rational decision.

What you do to the one who bring climbing to life, trad climber, is a little bitch.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:44:42 PM by lucky luke »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »

Blinders are more commonly used than blinkers in the US, I believe.
I think most people know what you mean when you say horse with blinders on.

What you do to the one who bring climbing to life, trad climber, is a little bitch.   
Do you know the connotation of bitch (besides meaning a female dog)?

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »

You understand that some people could agree with the old mentality and want to have a modern definition of trad climbing. You enter in the thread to make diversion and oblige every body to climb like you.

You forget the word horses. With a "s" as in plurial.

If you don't know what is a "horse with blinkers", it is "3. either of two leather flaps on a bridle, to prevent a horse from seeing sideways".

As usual, you change the definition to destroy what I am saying. Blinkered means "Having or showing a limited outlook: "a small-minded, blinkered approach". A horse with blinker will go straight forward until you told him to go to the right or the left. That means that you keep just what prove that sport is better and insult, humiliate any other way of thinking. It is not a small minded, it is a rational decision.

Go.  Away. Va t'en

"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »

So... i guess it's back to school..... blinkers, blinky, blinkered, blinded,   BORING  maybe you can define "horse" for me since I'm so stupid

I'm done with this guy

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »

I suggest a dose of the black hills needles to get over your bolt phobia. you will be damn happy to  get to the bolt and CLIP  :P

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »

Yeah, Trad, though never been, I have heard some gnarly stories about the black hills needles.
I would LOVE to visit City of Rocks.  Some day, and hopefully, soon.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »

I'd like to see a trip report or description of a cool climb or area from Luke instead of the constant, overbearing, myopic analyses. Come on Luke! Give us something different, please! Tell us what is interesting up north, best places to stay, the best food or something.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

I'd like to see a trip report or description of a cool climb or area from Luke instead of the constant, overbearing, myopic analyses. .

I climbed in remote area, cliff like canon. There is no bolt and some piton. Rock can felt and dangerous slipery lichens is not rub by the few climber in the cliff. I did pratically all 5.6-5.9 and I still have few 5.10 to do. The reason why I climbed in US is because the season here is just of four month (black flies and ice) and because sport climber are so scary of those cliff that they humiliate trad climber as you just did.

When a beginer do is first step in climbing, often he want to trad climb. Because there is no appealing definition of trad...they do sport lesson and learn to climb hard before seing the danger and avoid it. You think that gypsy at cathedral is dirty...it is just normal. Because many trad climber open the route and climb it without telling you what they climb...you think that it is natural, but it is false.

Today, in a cliff like cathedral, just the classic are done. We don't see friends climbing easy route to the top just to be togheter, people relaxing enjoying the day as his partner climb, talking to other climber. You will tell me that at rumney people climb hard for twenty minutes, falling many times ans trying again and again. That they sit down on the ground and talk on their cell phone as the gri gri belay is partner, trying the move for twenty minutes.  and that after the hero of the day will chalenge his partner to climb at his level.

I don't want to climb with sport climber...I want to climb with guy like webster...but at 5.9 - 5.11 level. I want to climb last unicorn bottom up, with partner with the same ethic as me. Your continous intervention on discussion like this one just scare trad people who don't like confrontation. I know that many climber are interested by trad, but you scare them.

So, go to kamouraska, go to lac long, write on escaladequebec.com...there is numbered of people like you all better than the other doing 5.11 and falling all at the same crux. I don't like that. Canon, poko and gunks are more attractive to me.     

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »

I'd like to see a trip report or description of a cool climb or area from Luke instead of the constant, overbearing, myopic analyses. .

I climbed in remote area, cliff like canon. There is no bolt and some piton. Rock can felt and dangerous slipery lichens is not rub by the few climber in the cliff. I did pratically all 5.6-5.9 and I still have few 5.10 to do. The reason why I climbed in US is because the season here is just of four month (black flies and ice) and because sport climber are so scary of those cliff that they humiliate trad climber as you just did.

When a beginer do is first step in climbing, often he want to trad climb. Because there is no appealing definition of trad...they do sport lesson and learn to climb hard before seing the danger and avoid it. You think that gypsy at cathedral is dirty...it is just normal. Because many trad climber open the route and climb it without telling you what they climb...you think that it is natural, but it is false.

Today, in a cliff like cathedral, just the classic are done. We don't see friends climbing easy route to the top just to be togheter, people relaxing enjoying the day as his partner climb, talking to other climber. You will tell me that at rumney people climb hard for twenty minutes, falling many times ans trying again and again. That they sit down on the ground and talk on their cell phone as the gri gri belay is partner, trying the move for twenty minutes.  and that after the hero of the day will chalenge his partner to climb at his level.

I don't want to climb with sport climber...I want to climb with guy like webster...but at 5.9 - 5.11 level. I want to climb last unicorn bottom up, with partner with the same ethic as me. Your continous intervention on discussion like this one just scare trad people who don't like confrontation. I know that many climber are interested by trad, but you scare them.

So, go to kamouraska, go to lac long, write on escaladequebec.com...there is numbered of people like you all better than the other doing 5.11 and falling all at the same crux. I don't like that. Canon, poko and gunks are more attractive to me.     

Wrong. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

Luke, if my comments here scare somebody, I don't think they are ready for trad climbing as you seem to define it... and you really have to stop taking criticism, irony and sarcasm as attempts to humiliate you if you are going to have conversation with a bunch of climbers. I often think people are unnecessarily rude to you, but most of it is from a sense of exasperation. For one who likes to micro analyze, you don't seem to get it. Why would so many here be so exasperated with your posts? It is inordinate. Could it be an issue with you and not because you are expressing a revolutionary or unpopular idea? I mean this as friendly criticism, though you may not like hearing it. Many of us here can relate to adventure and dealing with nature as it presents itself, though we may also climb in other manners. Your constant, not always subtle, putting down of other ways of climbing and comparison of what you like to do against a farcical stereotype becomes like a rasp on other people's sensibilities.

You really need another approach if you are going to successfully communicate with us. That is why I suggested trip reports etc. Otherwise you are just communicating that you are an asshole, which I don't really think you are.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:19:06 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »

Luke, if my comments here scare somebody, I don't think they are ready for trad climbing as you seem to define it... and you really have to stop taking criticism, irony and sarcasm as attempts to humiliate you if you are going to have conversation with a bunch of climbers. I often think people are unnecessarily rude to you, but most of it is from a sense of exasperation. For one who likes to micro analyze, you don't seem to get it. Why would so many here be so exasperated with your posts? It is inordinate. Could it be an issue with you and not because you are expressing a revolutionary or unpopular idea? I mean this as friendly criticism, though you may not like hearing it. Many of us here can relate to adventure and dealing with nature as it presents itself, though we may also climb in other manners. Your constant, not always subtle, putting down of other ways of climbing and comparison of what you like to do against a farcical stereotype becomes like a rasp on other people's sensibilities.

You really need another approach if you are going to successfully communicate with us. That is why I suggested trip reports etc. Otherwise you are just communicating that you are an asshole, which I don't really think you are.

An excellent post.
Luke, please take a moment-  and before you respond, read it again.
We're all climbers. With different abilities/goals. No type of climbing is "better" than another.
Fact is, it's all good.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »

Two GOOD posts in a row. Bravo!

We're all climbers. With different abilities/goals. No type of climbing is "better" than another.
Fact is, it's all good.
So true. Right on mark.

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »

And to quote Brady Robinson from the Access fund "If we climbers don't stand up for what is right,we put our climbing areas and access at risk.But standing like a rock on matters of style is sometimes a mistake - it could mean you are being a JERK"
 I read this phrase and it made me think of this thread.Remember a bolt is a bolt and it is all climbing so have fun and be safe.
 Jim
bailing is not failing!!!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »

OK guys... I agree that it's tough to understand what Luke is saying a lot of the time. however, there is some of it that, once you tease it out, is worth the effort. regardless, YOU all have the option to ignore him or not, especially on his own  thread. if you don't like what he says, just ignore it. there is no reason to be insulting or anything. let's try and keep things civil here.

ThnX,

The Management...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 23 queries.