NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Just so you all know... I am going to change the default theme for the site to a more modern "curve" theme. It will be the one everyone uses from now on. It will make things a whole lot easier for me to maintain.

THNX

the management

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training Facility  (Read 846 times)

Themessenger2

• NEClimbs Newbie
Training Facility
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »

Hello.

So Im curious about any gym type places that would allow someone to do Mountain Athlete/Gym Jones programing in and/or around the boston area.  after a long stint away guiding im back in the area and it seems as though no one has herd of such programs out this way.  After being yelled at at 2 different Globo gyms and basically laughed at for even asking if i could workout at a crossfit box and do my own programing 3 different times, i am at a loss.  Aside from just buying a full set up bumper plates and all AND the people below me dont totally freak out and get me evicted i've got nothing.  Anyone have any ideas?

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Training Facility
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »

I'm fucking at a loss as to what you are talking about,, sorry
For overall fighting/combat, I would suggest installing bolts at Catherderal   :D

Overall fitness-- much wide

i got  a buddy out here in CO that teaches martial arts to SEALS.. maybe that would help,,

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »

Sounds awful. I hate doing any kind of regular exercise program. Every once in a while I tell myself I am going to get on a program and I last about a week or two. The stuff I could stick with best are a few exercise Vasya showed me that don't use any equipment, a few little martial arts exercises. I do them occasionally, but not regularly enough to make much difference.
Zuzana has some good regimes on http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight and she is nice to watch, but I feel like I am going to die if I try to do a whole one. Most of her routines require very little if any equipment, so if you can find any space where doing burpees wouldn't annoy people you would be golden.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:32:51 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »

Wide, Wide.. my bud in veed is one of the most ripped dudes i ever met,, 62 , he looks like he could rip me in half !

But, as you know f/a's get you goin' pretty good.. TC' " it's like climbing, only harder"

Themessenger2

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »

I'm fucking at a loss as to what you are talking about,, sorry
For overall fighting/combat, I would suggest installing bolts at Catherderal   :D

Overall fitness-- much wide

i got  a buddy out here in CO that teaches martial arts to SEALS.. maybe that would help,,

www.mtnathlete.com
www.gymjones.com

its not fight training...also...you might not be able to tell but this forum has become my last resort for information.  i don't pick up on the sarcasm as well as others who spend alot of time sitting and typing.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »

Didn't Gym Jones sprout up from what became crossfit when Twight had a falling out with the other founder of crossfit? Maybe just look for a crossfit gym and a trainer that will customize your program?
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Themessenger2

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »

Didn't Gym Jones sprout up from what became crossfit when Twight had a falling out with the other founder of crossfit? Maybe just look for a crossfit gym and a trainer that will customize your program?

Something like that.  Twight and Rob Shall from Mountain Athlete both believe in sport specific training using mesocycles.  Where as crossfit is totally random most/all the time. Gym Jones started basically as an experiment like 10 years ago, was invite only and now has opened up to the public.  MTN Athlete grew from Military Athlete and use to be free...now you have to pay. which is fine. I had to opportunity to train a bit at both places (Jackson Hole and SLC) and what those guys are doing is fucking incredible.  I have tried 7 crossfit boxes at this point.  all have been very unwelcoming when it comes to programming other then things based around CrossfitHQ.  Globo gyms like planet fitness, golds, etc dont have bumper plates, kettle bells, sand bags, ropes to climb, sleds to push etc and dont allow you to do any kind of olympic lifts.

know any crossfit box owners that arent as up tight as the rest?
Anyone frequent climbing gyms???? There has to be more then just yoga

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:33:58 AM »

There is a place that's one or two doors down from Boston Rock Gym called Athletic Evolution. They have tons of KB's, bumper plates, several platforms (maybe a half dozen or more), boxes, etc. I don't think you can train on your own though -- so you would either have to join one of their structured adult programs, which probably won't give you exactly what you want, or you would have to sign up with a personal trainer and work out your own program. (These are not trainers like the gumbies at the globo gyms.)

Another possible option is Skill of Strength in Chelmsford. (Maybe too far for you?) I learned KB training from the owner Mike Perry when he used to train out of Athletic Evolution before he opened this gym in Chelmsford. He's a good guy and will definitely listen to you and work a program based on what you want.

http://www.skillofstrength.com/about/

Skill of Strength’s clients can take advantage of access to 2,000 square feet of turf as well as a host of free weights, kettlebells, battling ropes, suspension trainers, gymnast rings, speed sleds, slide boards, plyo boxes, olympic lifting equipment and other cutting edge, functional exercise tools.

There are probably a lot more options if you dig around but the problem is none of them are likely cheap.

Edit: give me a couple of days and check back here. I'm going to check with some people I know (from another forum) that do Starting Strength based programs and they run into the same problems at the globo gyms. I think they have a list somewhere of gyms that allow Olympic/power lifting, and I know a few of the guys are from the Boston area so I'll see if they have any ideas.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:45:56 AM by JBrochu »
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »

Got one response so far:

http://www.totalperformancesports.com/

Everett, MA
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

Themessenger2

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »

There is a place that's one or two doors down from Boston Rock Gym called Athletic Evolution. They have tons of KB's, bumper plates, several platforms (maybe a half dozen or more), boxes, etc. I don't think you can train on your own though -- so you would either have to join one of their structured adult programs, which probably won't give you exactly what you want, or you would have to sign up with a personal trainer and work out your own program. (These are not trainers like the gumbies at the globo gyms.)

Another possible option is Skill of Strength in Chelmsford. (Maybe too far for you?) I learned KB training from the owner Mike Perry when he used to train out of Athletic Evolution before he opened this gym in Chelmsford. He's a good guy and will definitely listen to you and work a program based on what you want.

http://www.skillofstrength.com/about/

Skill of Strength’s clients can take advantage of access to 2,000 square feet of turf as well as a host of free weights, kettlebells, battling ropes, suspension trainers, gymnast rings, speed sleds, slide boards, plyo boxes, olympic lifting equipment and other cutting edge, functional exercise tools.

There are probably a lot more options if you dig around but the problem is none of them are likely cheap.

Edit: give me a couple of days and check back here. I'm going to check with some people I know (from another forum) that do Starting Strength based programs and they run into the same problems at the globo gyms. I think they have a list somewhere of gyms that allow Olympic/power lifting, and I know a few of the guys are from the Boston area so I'll see if they have any ideas.

awesome...thanks for your help man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 23 queries.