NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: modern definition of trad  (Read 4662 times)

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
Re: modern definition of trad
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »

i've been told by 3 experienced gunks locals, including a guide that your higher version is not a regular variation. 

I don't say regular, I said the 5.8 trad version. At least a guide admit that it is a variation

If anything it is off route.   it's not what the guidebook says and it's not a known variation. 

you've told me that i didn't do it the FA way,  the 5.8+ way      both of these are incorrect and you finally admitted that you were off route.    now casse toi

all of those hard british grit climbers who are falling on sketch gear pushing their limits must have it all wrong.  but i'm sure you know more than Steve Mclure,  Dave McLeod, etc... 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:33:21 PM by JakeDatc »
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

hey guys, in the 10+ years I've been wasting useful time on these stupid climbing forums, this thread has devolved into about the single dumbest I've seen. It has become less consequential than debating how many angels dance on the head of a pin. Really, who gives a fuck who went which way on a single line among thousands at a Yankee choss pile. Go get a room, leave us out of it.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »

Shall we go back to what bolts and pins should be on that POS Thin Air?    or how many beer bottles you've dodged from the overlook.. 

i'm mostly amused that he says that sport climbers are basically incompetent  yet he climbed the most obvious route ever incorrectly. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:28:33 PM by JakeDatc »

DLottmann

« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »

...too bad there isn't a block user button.

no shit... I can't ignore it, but I'm doing good not contributing... he's f'ing batty that one...

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »

So, if we climb a 5.9 and fall in a section of 5.8+ we are still safe.
Again, your definition of what constitutes the total mastery of a move only applies to YOU. 

Surprise and desappointed by your answer. Your question was on the meaning of lower the stress.

When people climbed on piton and hamp rope, they say: don't fall. that means that when you are doing a move, you must anticipate every possibility and choose the one with the lower exposure to danger. Today, we have better equipment, but the game could be the same and it will change how you climb. the "we" apply to many people in the last forty years of climbing. climbing a degree under is level of top rope is a current practice in many area of the world.

With bolt, you can try any thing because the fall have less consequences. So, you can explore different type of equilibrum and be more efficient to climb a route. it is less dangerous. As long as you have bolt, it is the same. But I trained every years to have better placement for my protection and you don't have to do that with bolt. So, for the majority of sport climber, it is a little more dangerous to climb with pro.

a modern definition will be good for many reason. In publicity, diversify the market by using different brand is often use. As people have more choice, they will try different option and that will be good for tourism and the industry.   

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2013, 07:12:01 AM »

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »

Modern definition of a trad climber:

1- I wear a shirt while climbing
2- I do not wear a beanie unless it is actually cold outside
3- there is not a crash pad beneath me
4- beer, wine, whiskey - it's all good

The rest is just rhetoric......

8)
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »

Good ones!
I am good with all the above so to disqualify myself as a trad climber, I would add
5- never stick clips (Ventilator excepted).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »

I put my small crash pad under me for Drunkards Delight..  sue me.   ;)

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »

Too funny, Jake, I put my back pack there (stuffed with jackets) when I led it one foggy morning oh too long ago.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 23 queries.