NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New harness  (Read 740 times)

Hellmans

• NEClimbs Newbie
New harness
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »

I need your help...

I have been climbing 5 yrs with my first harness and it is now time to change... I do indoor, outdoor, lead, trad, alpine and ice so pretty much everything with it. I just don't know what is the best out there and would like recommendations... I was first looking at Arcteryx but not sure which one and then I saw the BD flight and then the metolius trad harness...

Can you share your favorites top notch choices to help me further decide ?

Thanks to all.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: New harness
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

Wild Country Elite Synchro-- I am on my second (wore out the first one over a period of 4-5 years of year round climbing & guiding) ; particularly like the waist buckles on both sides --I can center the belay loop easily whether wearing winter or summer clothing; also it has 7 gear loops which helps in managing guide specific gear, as well as a complete trad rack; finally it's very comfortable, both climbing and on hanging belays.

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

I have been wearing the older version of the Black Diamond aspect harness for...three years now? ???
    Anyway. I love it. It's very comfortable and has a nicely padded belt. With my waist the belay loop is centered. It only has one waist buckle and it's "Speed Adjust" so you don't have to double back. The leg loops are adjustable with the same buckle type too. It has built in ice clipper slots (2 each side) so I can just pop them in during ice season and I'm good-to-go. It also has a haul loop. I've noticed that some harnesses are not coming with a haul loop lately; I would miss it.
    I'm sorry to be talking about a harness that you potentially can't find. I did see it a few months ago on sale so you may still be able to locate it. The "new" aspect would be just about the same I would think. It just has their newer style of construction.

Here is the older style; limited sizes though: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Aspect-Climbing-Harness/dp/B0034UQYXA/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1369599873&sr=1-2&keywords=Black+diamond+aspect
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:26:29 PM by ELM »
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »

Synchro Elite no longer available on Wild Country's website.  It's replacement seems to be the Summit.  Haven't have one in hand yet but looks to be a relatively substantial change in design.  That said would have to have one in hand to see if it were cosmetic or substantial. 

I have just gotten a new Synchro Elite to replace one that had a manufacturing defect so some are still available.  BTW kudos to Rock & Snow in New Paltz (thanks Andrew), the distributor Excalibur out of Colorado (thanks Lisa), and Wild Country for great and responsive customer service and focus in dealing with the issue with the harness.

I love the Syncro.  Light and comfortable even at the end of very long days of climbing.  I don't rack on the harness and don't ice climb so can't appropriately respond to the OP.  Regarding sizing,  I have a 32" inch waist (33 to 34 in the holiday season!!!) and the medium Syncro is too big.  I have climbed with a medium and can't get it appropriately tight over the hips.  So 32" waist or smaller, go with the small, bigger go with the medium.  The gear hoops ride just a bit further back on my torso than my old BD Blizzard but I adapted to it pretty quickly.  Going in I thought seven gear loops were a bit much but I have found ways to utilize them for enhanced organization.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:07:05 PM by Bill »

tks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »

I need your help...

I have been climbing 5 yrs with my first harness and it is now time to change... I do indoor, outdoor, lead, trad, alpine and ice so pretty much everything with it. I just don't know what is the best out there and would like recommendations... I was first looking at Arcteryx but not sure which one and then I saw the BD flight and then the metolius trad harness...

Can you share your favorites top notch choices to help me further decide ?

Thanks to all.

Misty Mountain Caddillac - most comfortable harness, and comes with two rows of gear loops.  When you order it you might want to ask them to use elastic on the rear leg connections

Hellmans

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »

I have waited so much that I am now looking into an Ice harness... Looked at the ArcTeryx I340A but the construction looks average. I than fell in love with the BD xenos but the red one new style on Black diamond site... Just unable to find it anywhere, it seems like they are all trying to get rid of the old whites before they push the new one...

I want it now !!! I need some ice !!! My screws are screaming at me at night...

Anyone know when it will be available to crazy people like me ??

Hellmans

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »

Just got a reply from BD and the new xenos will arrive in shops first week of november...

Ok I'll wait I guess :-)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »

i just scooped a new Petzl Corax from a guy who got it for Xmas and couldn't return it..$40  it's a bit heavy,but really adjustable and very well made.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »

i just scooped a new Petzl Corax from a guy who got it for Xmas and couldn't return it..$40  it's a bit heavy,but really adjustable and very well made.

I burned through one a year before the recent upgrade on the tie-in parts.  As Mrs. Eyebolter says "you are really hard on things," but sheesh.

Otherwise, I like the harness and it is cheap so I'm giving the new one a try.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »

Just picked up the new Wild Country Summit. Two years of whippers on my Camp Quartz CR3 and it looks no worse for the wear but I'm not taking any chances. Will let you know what I think of the Summit!

http://www.weighmyrack.com/Harness/Wild-Country-Summit
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

I can't wait to try my new Petzl Sama (2013) out for real.  I've talked to about five people (all males) who have it and they all said that it is "great".

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.