NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from a new guy  (Read 915 times)

NHDanO

• NEClimbs Newbie
Hello from a new guy
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »

Hello everyone.  My name is Dan and I live near Keene NH.  I've been wanting to learn how to climb for years and I'm finally getting started.  Just thought I'd drop in and say hello.

JBeta

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Pull down, not out.
Re: Hello from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »

Hi Dan! Welcome to the site and to climbing in general. Be prepared to watch your earning potential wither away as you spend more and more time on the rock.

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

Climbing makes heroin look like child's play. Your funds will dwindle and your relationships will suffer... With that said... There is a cool little crag out your way in the town of Marlow... Check it out!
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

darwined

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

Climbing makes heroin look like child's play. Your funds will dwindle and your relationships will suffer

True story.  Pretty soon you'll sandbaggin'  your boys just for shits and giggles.  Oh... and you need to get well versed on the differences between sport and trad. :P

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

A really good bud of mine did the H for his doctoral work in physics.. cut it after,, we did some crazy shit for sure 5.13 slab and such.
Hook up with the Chinos in new durham and of course the great manchester guys.. my heroes

Base is the MAN

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

There's a fun ice climbing area in a Walpole railroad cut near you.
 Perfect for learning plus some cool mixed stuff.
That should drain any money you still have by November.

Don't Climb

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »

A really good bud of mine did the H for his doctoral work in physics.. cut it after,, we did some crazy shit for sure 5.13 slab and such.
Hook up with the Chinos in new durham and of course the great manchester guys.. my heroes

Base is the MAN
Base is a pot of knowledge and a great guy as well. If you do any climbing at the glass factory that is Rock Rimmon you'll meet him for sure.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

hi!

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »

"Base is the MAN"

Been a long time since I've seen the mailman.

Helluva guy. Quiet and hard as I recall.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »

I too have not seen Base in a very LONG time.  I laugh a lot whenever I climbed or just hung out with him.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

garyk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »

Hi Dan and welcome. Lots of great stuff up North, but if you want to venture south of the border, not far from Keene, you can have some fun. Crow Hill in Leominster is a good spot. Farley Ledges, Mormon Hollow and Rose Ledge are all close to Erving MA. and you can look them up on Western Mass. Climbers Coalition.
For a new climber it's hard to beat Chapel Ledge in Ashfield MA. Maybe we'll see you out there one day.
Have fun and climb safe.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »

All of the above are great.  If you really are a true beginner, the right side of Chapel Ledge can't be beat, even compared to North Conway (sorry Al).   It is even granite!

Closer to home, check out Hewes Hill in Swanzey.  No really easy climbs, but you can set up TRs.  The left-most route (Zig Zag) is a sandbag 5.6 that is really good.  8)

Ward

NHDanO

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »

Well I got out to Farley last week with the crew from the Berkshire chapter of AMC.  I had a blast.  Got a couple of climbs in and had a blast.

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »

Base is around somewhere I'm sure. My girlfriend ran into an old friend recently and she actually mentioned that she climbed with Base. I haven't climbed with him in years. Ironically - its 15 years ago July 4 that Base and I were first on the scene (and fortunately a whole bunch of other climbers) were part of a rescue at Pok-o in the Daks. I will never forget that day. They actually shut down 87 to land a helicopter and took the injured climber over to a trauma center in Burlington VT. The good news - after a very long recovery the injured climber fully recovered and was back climbing just over a year later.

Wow, can't believe that happened 15 years ago.   

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »

Well I got out to Farley last week with the crew from the Berkshire chapter of AMC.  I had a blast.  Got a couple of climbs in and had a blast.

Glad you had fun.  There are a number of other crags within 10 minutes of Farley:  Rose Ledge, Mormon Hollow, and the Sanctuary to name only three.  Not as extensive as Farley but plenty good. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 23 queries.