NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: missing rope  (Read 1061 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
missing rope
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »

Over the past several days someone took a rope from a climb that was being worked on over on the right side of Humphrey's Ledge. The rope was not abandoned. It has been there for a week or two ehile my friends the Perez's and I were working on some new routes. It was on a climb that had obviously been cleaned and bolted. I'd like to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but it's tough. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do that and right now I'm pretty PO'd about it.

If you took it, or know who did, I would really appreciate it being returned. You can leave it at IME or PM me and I will tell you where to drop it off. It's not that the rope is new or anything, but I want it back.

Thanks...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
Re: missing rope
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

I hope you get your rope back Al.

Keep in mind though, if you don't get it back, the f***face that stole it will get chopped and die. From the very same rope.

Karma makes the world go round.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »

the rope itself belongs to Joe & Judy Perez, but we were all 3 using it. of course it's not the rope itself, it's the principle....
Al Hospers

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »

Just to play devils advocate there is also the principal of not leaveing fixed ropes on projects?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

Just to play devils advocate there is also the principal of not leaveing fixed ropes on projects?

That's BS... I've left fixed ropes on projects off & on for over 20 years and have seen other folks doing the same for much longer. And what gives ANYONE the right to take another persons rope? That's ridiculous!!! To me it's no different than stealing pins from Arno's corner!
Al Hospers

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

Imo ropes should not be left on projects but that is a topic for another thread.

That being said, taking someones rope makes you an asshole! I hope you get your rope back Al.

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »

Imo ropes should not be left on projects but that is a topic for another thread.

That being said, taking someones rope makes you an asshole! I hope you get your rope back Al.

Some tough love Al. If you take your rope home at night you wont risk losing it.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Where is this "Arno's Corner" people are talking about?
How many pins are in there?

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »

I've had more stuff taken than I can list.  Ropes, draws, gear, a bag with bolts in it.  It comes with the territory.

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

Seems pretty easy to just pull the rope coil it and leave it next to the climb. From there it is two seconds to IME if you think someone else might just take it so why not you.

Sure it is kinda rude to leave a rope on a climb for others to deal with working the route  or not. You do not own the dam rock might wanna think about that.

Been with people a few times when they bootied left gear. Imop all those time it could had been dealt with differently very easily. Never felt very good about it and wished i had not been there tbh. Bad Karma imop but i am not gonna argue with my buddy that i think he is a dick.I never understood someone that got off on free stuff that is not theirs but what are you gonna do.

Ow well first world problems right....

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »

FYI - it is a project, not just someone trying to get up a climb...

I guess I have a different take on stuff like this. I just don't take other peoples stuff! This is not like leaving a beiner on a bolt, or a cam that someone couldn't get out. This was a rope left on what was obviously a new route, drill dust and the like, in an area that is infrequently visited.

KARMA...
Al Hospers

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

Al i agree i am not at all for taking other peoples stuff either.

My point if it was missed was that i am sure it was very clear the route was being worked. Pretty sure i may even know the route you are talking about and if it is that route although you can not see the anchors the climb is only 20-30 feet long. Pretty easy to scamper up the side of it in that crack to get a good look at the anchor.

Imop weather it be a stuck cam a rope whatever i say leave it unless it is sun bleached and looks clearly abandoned. When i see other people take shit even legit booty i always think to myself how do you know the knucklehead that left that will not be back tomorrow for it. And it is not mine plain and simple so i do not belong taking it. Sure if it is in my may i will clean it and leave it at the base of the climb if i am going back. If not i will just do everything i can to leave it..

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »

Personally, If I thought a friend was making a dink move I would tell them. Who better to let them know?

People are way to quick to make excuses for stealing. If there is a fixed rope that isn't causing problems by being in the way or been hanging there for ages and looking especially ugly or dangerous, leave it alone. If you must take it down, leave it coiled up hanging nearby or otherwise try to get it back to the owner unless it is clearly trash. The same goes for a neatly hidden stash. Sometimes it is just impossible to carry everything in and out every day.

That being said, I think it is obviously incumbent on everyone  to keep their fixed gear  to a minimum and their stash neat and well hidden. Heaps of tarps, rotting crashpads etc. is not OK. It shouldn't be wrecking other's nature experience. To get all uptight about an occasional fixed rope is just being anal though. If it was your own rope up would you be shuddering in disgust?

Hope you get the rope back, Al.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

A coiled rope left on the ground I would assume was forgotten, and I wouldn't think twice about grabbing it and posting here in the Lost & Found.

A rope left on the cliff is a grey area. If you are coming back almost daily AND it isn't easy to re-rig the rope back on the project I can understand it. I would suggest coiling anything left on the ground, and maybe leaving a phone number on a index card or something attached to the rope.

No matter how you "feel" about it, you are leaving gear in the mountains. I can't stand people stashing snowshoes in the woods at the base of Lion's Head steeps. You might find them back at the Lost & Found at PNVC, so stash them out of sight at least... sorry, kinda different topic...

I hope you get the rope back. But just because we're climbers doesn't mean LNT shouldn't be attempted...

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

I've had more stuff taken than I can list.  Ropes, draws, gear, a bag with bolts in it.  It comes with the territory.

Thats what sucks. It should not come with the territory! IMO if you are taking gear off of a route that is NOT clearly abandoned you are stealing. WTF - This wasn't even an established route. There are a******s in every group including climbers.

Late on a Friday afternoon a few years ago I left draws on a route I had been working to come back for the RP the next day. We are at the base of the climb the next morning at 8:15 and my draws were gone!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:50:05 PM by DaveR »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.