NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: missing rope  (Read 1276 times)

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
Re: missing rope
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

I would agree that people who steal gear suck. However, knowing that there are people who suck and upon seeing an unoccupied rope may be just too tempting for them to by-pass' the only way to prevent theft would be to take the rope off the route at the end of the day and take it home with you. If I was worried or thought my rope would be ripped off I certainly wouldn't leave it there. This all being said, I suggest we start a "buy Al a new rope" fund. I will contribute the first $25.00. We certainly could raise the money for the poor fellow. Considering all he does. We could print T-Shirts to sell; "Al's Rope Is Strong" printed in blue and yellow. I am coming up to North Conway this weekend to run the Mt. Washington Road Race so maybe Saturday night we could have the kickoff event. Maybe a barbeque at Al's house. I am sure he can find a live band to perform. Al, I like Coronas and big burgers. See you all at 7. What do we all think?

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »

Al's house at 7, I'll bring salad! :)

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »

I'll bring bourbon!!  ;D ;D

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »

at the first couple of sentences I thought you were serious, then I realized...Steve...naaah!

a party might be something for the fall tho... HMMMM

I would agree that people who steal gear suck. However, knowing that there are people who suck and upon seeing an unoccupied rope may be just too tempting for them to by-pass' the only way to prevent theft would be to take the rope off the route at the end of the day and take it home with you. If I was worried or thought my rope would be ripped off I certainly wouldn't leave it there. This all being said, I suggest we start a "buy Al a new rope" fund. I will contribute the first $25.00. We certainly could raise the money for the poor fellow. Considering all he does. We could print T-Shirts to sell; "Al's Rope Is Strong" printed in blue and yellow. I am coming up to North Conway this weekend to run the Mt. Washington Road Race so maybe Saturday night we could have the kickoff event. Maybe a barbeque at Al's house. I am sure he can find a live band to perform. Al, I like Coronas and big burgers. See you all at 7. What do we all think?
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

look folks - it's NOT about the price of the rope. we've been working on some lines, one is partly done, several are on the way. we left the rope up there 'cause it makes it a lot easier to get up to where we are working. WTF is the deal here? I don't understand the issue. this was OBVIOUSLY someone's rope. not a new one, but a serviceable rope. whether it was there a week or a month, IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU. it was hanging from a 2-bolt anchor, not caught in a tree! it wasn't coiled on the ground like someone forgot it. and if it was on the ground, maybe dropping it a IME or posting something in the L&F might be the RIGHT THING TO DO.

LOOK, someone picked off a 5 year old rope that we were using to get up and down on an obscure part of a local cliff so we could work on some new routes. IMNSHO there is no excuse for that. the rope wasn't there for months, for a year, for WHATEVER. there is always the possibility that it wasn't a climber that took it, however there were a bunch of footprints around that area that weren't ours and from what I understand some looked like rock shoe prints. I don't know the rational and I honestly don't care. I'm saying that IMNSHO (and I know I'm probably not all that humble) I think that this action SUCKS.
Al Hospers

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »

DMan... I don't get it. you have a problem with people stashing their snowshoes at the base of LH? come on man... I think that's ridiculous.

so I'm supposed to leave a 3x5 on the rope with my name & phone # on it...COME ON! get real...

and BTW, I don't think that there is any "gray area" in this.

A coiled rope left on the ground I would assume was forgotten, and I wouldn't think twice about grabbing it and posting here in the Lost & Found.

A rope left on the cliff is a grey area. If you are coming back almost daily AND it isn't easy to re-rig the rope back on the project I can understand it. I would suggest coiling anything left on the ground, and maybe leaving a phone number on a index card or something attached to the rope.

No matter how you "feel" about it, you are leaving gear in the mountains. I can't stand people stashing snowshoes in the woods at the base of Lion's Head steeps. You might find them back at the Lost & Found at PNVC, so stash them out of sight at least... sorry, kinda different topic...

I hope you get the rope back. But just because we're climbers doesn't mean LNT shouldn't be attempted...
Al Hospers

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »

At Farley, most routes, even trad ones, have two bolt anchors with fixed biners.   It just makes it a hell of a lot easier and quicker for everyone.  Every now and then a bunch of the biners will be gone, probably by some cheap bastard, so you have to kink the shit out of your rope by lowering off the single quick-links.  Really pisses me off as I've left a ton of my old biners on my new routes.   

Some people are just ignorant. and think that stuff is free for the taking, and others know it is wrong and do it anyway.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »

Where is this "Farley ledge" folks are talking about?

And are those fixed biners in decent condition?

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »

I propose we ask Mr Nichols for his opinion.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

Don't get me wrong/ Stealing the rope was BS.  on the other hand leaveing fixed ropes is not something I have  gotten comfortable with yet.  Kind of figure that the price of admission is getting the rope up there and I also worry about the impression left on non climbers that may somehow affect access at one point or annother.... additionaly I am usually so paranoid that someone will steal my project that the absolute last thing I will do is leave anything there that will make it easier to get on the climb.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

I've got an old rope hanging up way out in the middle of nowhere. I think it has been up over 3 years now if the ice hasn't ripped it down yet. I should tell Dman or Tradman where it is so they will take it down and carry it out for me.  :P Unfortunately I have to haul another rope out now to get where it is anchored because I wouldn't trust Jumaring up it anymore. Don't worry. I will get it out of there this year. Three years is a little long even for me.  ;D (It'a place that gets maybe a visitor once a year if lucky)
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »

Who ever took the rope clearly knew it was not there fucking rope !! Like stealing pins and biners and.. it's theft and the perps should beaten

Fuck'm

Hey mark- the bolts near the popular ice climb ?? ;)

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »

Well that totally sux the bag DaveR. Talk about a letdown.

I imagine I'd be so pissed that I'd either walk away in disgust or damn go for it ground up.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »

Let's not get too crazy ken

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »

Another spot  John, but thanks for reminding me of that project, another one I have to get back and place a couple more bolts and anchors on to finish. If things are dry this weekend that might be a good one to do after I run into Owls. Not so far out in the woods for a quick run in and I just got some more 1/2 SS Rawls. I have a good name in my head for it and I want to be able to use it.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.