NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: missing rope  (Read 1005 times)

ridgerunner

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Carpe diem !
    • Climbing site
Re: missing rope
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »

Frik
You made me laugh really hard...twice ! I still am...
:-)

ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
It's not "missing" some d!ckhead stole it...
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »

Al,

Sorry about your rope, but as Ward said, "It comes with the territory…"

Over the years,  I've had a bunch of "new routing" gear/equipment stolen and I completely understand how infuriating  it can be. 

My advise: suck it up and get over it.  It's just what some d!ckhead climbers do…

I think there are two type of "climbers" who pull this kind of shit. The first are truly, totally clueless wankers who see a couple of crappy biners on an anchor or a 5 year old "not even good for top-roping" rope and think, "Booty!"

Personally, for these guys; I hope they use the rope, they fall on it, it breaks and they die…

That'll teach them…

The second group is by far worse… They're not "clueless wankers."  They know exactly what they're doing.  They know they're stealing from another climber. And, they do it anyway…

Even worse, they think it's funny: "So, Where is this "Arno's Corner" people are talking about? How many pins are in there?" And "Where is this "Farley ledge" folks are talking about? And are those fixed biners in decent condition?"

Maybe I'm wrong and a guy who would say something like this isn't the type to steal from Al and the Perez's, but then again, maybe he is…

But, more importantly, they thinks it's funny…

Oh, I almost forgot: "HA HA…"

The second thing with this group is that they know what they are doing is "peeing" on you.

I hate to tell you this Al, but; the guy who stole your rope, was pissing all over you and everything you were trying to do...

Personally, I find that pretty sad.

They can't produce anything themselves, but they'll piss on anything someone else does...

ed e

ps.  Have you ever wondered why there are "secret crags?"
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »

good points Ed....
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

DMan... I don't get it. you have a problem with people stashing their snowshoes at the base of LH? come on man... I think that's ridiculous.

so I'm supposed to leave a 3x5 on the rope with my name & phone # on it...COME ON! get real...

and BTW, I don't think that there is any "gray area" in this.

A coiled rope left on the ground I would assume was forgotten, and I wouldn't think twice about grabbing it and posting here in the Lost & Found.

A rope left on the cliff is a grey area. If you are coming back almost daily AND it isn't easy to re-rig the rope back on the project I can understand it. I would suggest coiling anything left on the ground, and maybe leaving a phone number on a index card or something attached to the rope.

No matter how you "feel" about it, you are leaving gear in the mountains. I can't stand people stashing snowshoes in the woods at the base of Lion's Head steeps. You might find them back at the Lost & Found at PNVC, so stash them out of sight at least... sorry, kinda different topic...

I hope you get the rope back. But just because we're climbers doesn't mean LNT shouldn't be attempted...

OK, first off, I’ll donate the next $25 to Al’s new rope.

Second, and probably another topic, leaving snowshoes on a highly visible highly trafficked trail below tree-line to summit a peak 2 miles away is moronic for two reasons;

1) It’s easy as hell to hide them out of sight to make it a non-issue

2) You just might not come back down the way you thought you would...

2a) Snowshoes don’t weigh much, so strap em’ on your pack...

Summiting Mount Washington in a dayhike in winter does not require caching gear, but if you really need to, just put it out of sight... that’s all I’m sayin’...

I’ve found food “caches" ravaged by rodents on the trail, full water bottles, trekking poles, etc on Winter Lion’s Head... Even found a pack at split rock because the person felt the summit was close enough to carry on without it... in a whiteout... effin’ stupid...

DLottmann

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »

I’m not saying I support someone stealing a rope... but let me ask you this Al, since I’m not familiar with the route this was fixed on...

How hard would it have been to take the rope home and reset it on the days you were working it?

Obviously Humprey’s is a much more popular crag than it was 20 years ago, and new climbers are visiting it... if everyone picked a new line and left a rope it could get out of hand... sure, I’m dramatizing it a bit, but there should be some way of identifying an abandoned rope, and a current working fixed rope. I don’t think a dated note attached to the rope is too much to ask, and it would at least establish whether the rope was “stolen”, or removed with other intentions...

“Project in use, 6-15-13, please do not remove” would be enough...

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »

#1 - neither the Perez's nor I need another rope. we have plenty. it's not the $$, it's the principle of the matter...

#2 - when I'm cleaning & bolting & trying things out, I don't want to have to aid a pitch all over again just to get back up there and I guarantee that you wouldn't either...

#3 - the far right side of Humphrey's is definitely off the beaten path. leaving a rope up there for 2 months, or heck - the whole summer - isn't going to inconvenience anyone. until we went there this spring I doubt anyone had climbed there in years.

#4 - when was the last time someone abandoned a rope on a cliff, other than Handren & company up at Frankenstein? it just doesn't happen.

anyway, I started this thread to make a point. I did that and I'm done.

case & thread closed...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:13:21 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.