NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntington Ravine- eight gullies in one day...  (Read 213 times)

Edge

Huntington Ravine- eight gullies in one day...
« on: February 04, 2002, 07:36:06 AM »

Does anyone know who was the first person to climb all eight gullies in one day?  I did it a while back in pretty good time while training for a trip to Chamonix, but expect that someone else must have done it previously.  How often does it get done?  Any thoughts?  

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
Re: Huntington Ravine- eight gullies in one day...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 10:21:24 AM »

I remember hearing about Hot Henry doing them all sometime
in the early/mid 70's.  I think they finished on Pinnacle and
there was some issue where the anchor wasn't great (or
there at all) and they almost went for a ride from the top.

Zeb and I have been scheming to try this - which ups and
down did you do?  I was figuring up Odell's, Pinnacle, Damnation and North and down South, Central, Diagonal
and Yale.

The most I ever did was about 25 years ago with Steve A.
Up Pinnacle, Damnation and North and down Central 3 times.
Didn't think I'd ever be doing antics like that again but my kid
is egging me on....

RPD

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 10:29:59 AM »

Can you get Zeb out of bed early enough to even attempt it?  I question that...  

I am gearing up for my second attempt, maybe this coming weekend.  This time I must remember my helmet...

Edge

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 10:53:10 AM »

In 1984 I soloed the gullies in six hours from cabin-to-cabin.  I went up North, down Damnation, up Yale, down Diagonal, up Pinnacle, down Central, up O'dells, and then down South.  The weather was so bad, 35 degrees with fog, wind, and blowing snow, that I didn't even see others appearing in the ravine until I was halfway through, even though the cabin had been full the prior night.  Probably not the wisest time to go or the best descisions on which routes to downclimb, but it just felt right as I did it.  Besides, I had just ended a relationship (OK, she ended it...) and being young I was in that "don't give a damn" frame of mind.  That definately helped in Chamonix, too.

Definately give it a go, it was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.  These Old White's really are a great training ground for just about anything.

Good luck, let me know how you make out!

Old Eric

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 01:42:06 PM »

All I will have to do is tell Zeb that there is good bouldering
over the next bulge and he'll keep moving.  Of course that
means we will have to carry that damn pad up.  And My RPD,
helmet schlmet - if yo don't rmember your pants this time you
will have the whole Ravine to yourself.

Edge

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 06:19:54 AM »

Obvoiusly it's not just Zeb that is into bouldering...  I meant to congratulate you on winning our division at the Northampton comp.  Nice job!!!  Meg and I drove all the way home that night, leaving at about 1AM.  It wasn't nearly as epic as I thought it would be.  Definately worth the drive for our combined haul of 6 bags of chalk, one chalk bag and a small handfull of Clif bars....

STEVE DOUVILLE

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2002, 07:27:54 AM »

I heard years ago doing all the gullies in a day was called the circus.  Can someone confirm that.

The most I have ever done was 4 in a day .  Chad Lewis + I went up North ( we had 3 of us on that pirch ),  then the two of us went down central, up Pinnacle, and down the escape hatch.  Isn't that one of the gullies ???

I could not walk for several days after that great day...  You guys must be in great shape.  I'm a desk jocky in Ct. 5 days a week... So even with all my working out, and my current age of 48 it's tough to stay that fit..

Steve D

Brrr

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2002, 11:09:45 PM »

Henry Barber climbed six in 5 hours (Odell's, Pinnacle, Damnation, Yale, North, Diagonal) - Johnathan Waterman climbed each one TWICE in 5 hours!  (He also once climbed Pinnacle bareass naked except for boots and gloves!)

RPD

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2002, 11:27:57 AM »

Got any pictures...

Chris Dubé

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2002, 01:48:11 PM »

Larry Sodano and I did the tour years ago in about 8 hours from the road.  Both he and I were in better shape than today so I wouldn't bet on a time but your questions is provocative.  Why not make a game out of it.  Go for time.  Hell, do all 8 up (this has been done by Brad White, I believe).  Larry and I did up odell and down south, up pinnacle and down central, up yale and down diagonal, up damnation and down north.  The variations are endless.  Good luck!

RPD

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2002, 03:11:38 PM »

Eight fu*#ing hours?  For all of em?  Takes me 10 friggin hours to do one gully car-to-car...  I had heard tall tales about this godlike iceclimbing icon named Chis Dube.  It appears the AMC old farts were right...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 22 queries.