NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Captain anchor condition  (Read 992 times)

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
The Captain anchor condition
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »

Planning a day trip out to The Captain this week. The goal is Puttin in Time. Anyone know the condition of the belay anchors on each pitch? Looking at the photos on MtProject the protection bolts look old. I can deal with the old pro on route but am not comfortable with poor rap/belay bolts. I am willing to replace the anchors with stainless bolts and rings if it is required. If its already been done that would be a lot less weight to pack in.

Whats the current approach time? 3-4 hours? If its over 4 hours i am not interested anymore. 

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: The Captain anchor condition
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »

Depends if Sawyer road is open.. it's really long haul from 302.   if the road is open, then 2 1/2 -3 for a first visit
The original bolts are 3/8" x 2.25" and placed in '97.. only the top of P2 is semi hanging at all. the rest are ledges.

i have no problem with replacements..... the climbing go pretty quickly and P2 &3 can be combined... minimal gear needed

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »

Sawyer Rd. is open.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

Almost forgot.. i'm old.. the first 2 protection bolts are 5/16" buttons and maybe one atop P1 all else are nut heads

have fun.. a top 5 f/a for me.. maybe a top3

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »

David,

if the road is open, get at it, very easy with a bike to get in, At the last big clearing ditch the bikes and walk the old forest road up to the cliff, pass the campsite and camp under a large boulder at the base of the cliff, the trail is pretty well worn at this point and shouldnt be too much of a bitch to follow. The boulder bivi lets you be right near the cliff and one side is totally overhanging so you dont need a tent.

I have done putting in time twice, once with garlough and we got eaten alive by black flies, the other was in the fall and it was perfect. The bolts are in good conditon, the crux pitch is amazing sustained 11 thin face climbing.

I would be ready for black flies this time of year......

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/107410270

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »

Thanks all.

The pic in the link you provided Casey does make me question my plan. I did not notice all the flies until i zoomed in, wow!. I do have a bug net that i am going to bring.

John, i thought the route was much older than 97. I have wanted to get out there for a while. Looks great.

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

Post up if you go, that 11 pitch is worth it in itself.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »

'Snout.. i love fucking love it "the trail is pretty worn"  classic..

You MIGHT get some relief up higher from bugs , but...  A round trip now is 8-10 hours ???

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »

Strando-the day garlough and I went in only to get molested by the flies we came in and out in one day and it was prob around 7 hours round trip, you gotta remember once you get to the bikes its 20 minutes out......

The last time I was out there with Garlough, it had become pretty obvious where the trail was, yes its still a very lean trail corridor but if you think about it the Chino's have put up quite a few routes in there and usually roll in packs so its have been getting more foot traffic in the past two years than it has in the last 20.

such a beautiful spot, cant wait to get out there this fall, the slabs on the right side have major potential.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »

yes-- feel free to finish up Illusions///  sweeet rock

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »

Sorry I can't make it out with you guys this trip. Well, sort of, Ha Ha Ha You should take a before and after picture, sotto voce, for the reconstructive surgery.

Good Luck!
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

Made an attempt with Slacker today and failed. We ended up on what i think was Hancock Notch Trail. We hiked for about 3 hours until the trail sharply headed down hill, then we knew we were in the wrong area. Sad part is Slacker has been there before!  :D

We know the way now after a bit of recon on the way back. Going to try again next week.

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

send me a pm with your number david and I can get you some straightforward info.

Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »

David,

Let me know when your going again. i have the approach dialed 2 1/2 hours. I want to get back out and finish up some lines! Puttin in time is killer! the bolts are fine but could use quick links and rings. I think i may have left some biners last trip up it?

The first few four pitches of Captain Jameson are pretty fun as well.

Good Luck,

Jonathan Garlough

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »

The weather sucks right now for going out to The Captain. I dont see one good climbing day in the extended forecast.

When i have more time i will get in touch with you guys about directions. We could all even hook up for a trip.

cheers,
David
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 23 queries.