NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Weather  (Read 1508 times)

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
Re: Great Weather
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

have been trying to get 2 days in the northern Whites for a while now and the forecast keeps messing me up.   plan is for Cabot/waumbek  then  Kings Ravine etc and possibly down Castle trail.     have a finger that is bugging me so i've been getting lots of miles on the bike (450 for june)  and WANT to finish my NH 4k's in a few weeks. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »

have been trying to get 2 days in the northern Whites for a while now and the forecast keeps messing me up.   plan is for Cabot/waumbek  then  Kings Ravine etc and possibly down Castle trail.     have a finger that is bugging me so i've been getting lots of miles on the bike (450 for june)  and WANT to finish my NH 4k's in a few weeks.

I have had like only 5 four thousand footers left since 1975.  Just can't get excited for Cabot and Waumbeck in particular.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »

that is why they are not going to be my final ones.  :)   Last one will be West Bond which has some awesome views.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »

I've got about 8-9 4ks left. What I want to know is why some of you ambitious Yankees haven't gone in and pulled about 5' of rocks off the top of Isolation and Owl's Head. I mean really, I gotta hike that far for those things? Sheeeit.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »

18mi isn't that far ;)  normal day on the Long Trail for me last summer. 

I did Isolation as a 1.5 day trip and it has pretty nice views at the top.  there is a nice spot to camp a mile or 2 from the summit.

Owls head is a long day but the slide has good views from it (not from the peak though).  also has spots to camp to break it up if you need to. 

To make Cabot and Waumbek slightly better,  I guess Starr King   and the Horn  have good views  so even though the bigger peaks don't have great views  at least  peaks in the area that you can go to  do.   also i'm going to do them both in one day and get it over with so the contact is minimal :)

what i  DON'T understand is the GRID people from VFTT  that do the same peaks over and over again... It is one thing going to Zealand or East Osceola  with zero views once to say that you did it  but doing it 12 times? or more for the really insane with multiple GRIDS  (GRID= each peak in each month 576 total).   There are peaks i'll do again..  Bonds ridge.. franconia ridge.. certain Presi's  but if i don't go up Tecumseh again  i'm ok with that.    I'm moving on to the Terrifying 25  trail list that Hugh herr's kids came up with.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »

Yeah if I did Cabot and Waumbek I would finish the others.  If I lived closer I would definitely have done them on a crap day like today just for the exercise.

Isolation, Hale and North Twin don't sound so bad without the two uglies I have left.  Though maybe Starr King and the Horn would sweeten the pot.

If I never stand on the mighty summits of such greats as Zealand and Field again I will not be missing anything.

Don't slag Owl's Head; there is an interesting slide and view of the back side of the Franconias.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:03:16 PM by eyebolter »

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

Well we did Cabot and Waumbek on Saturday..   Starr King would have had good views if it weren't fogged in.  the views from the Horn were excellent so that is worth the little side trip for.  plus a fun boulder block on top to play on.
View from the Horn

Kings ravine was pretty sweet.  steep talus climbing with great views back into the ravine.  good views at the top of Madison and up at Adams.  tops were pretty foggy so i skipped Adams summit  but took Airline down and had more good views of what I had just finished.
looking up from the bottom.

Looking back down the headwall

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

what i  DON'T understand is the GRID people from VFTT  that do the same peaks over and over again... It is one thing going to Zealand or East Osceola  with zero views once to say that you did it  but doing it 12 times? or more for the really insane with multiple GRIDS  (GRID= each peak in each month 576 total).

An obsession indistinguishable from stupidity. But what are the 25 terrifying trails? That sounds like fun.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »

http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html#uds-search-results

Some of the trails are more difficult or exposed than others.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »

http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html#uds-search-results

Thanks, I guess it is just NH scary 25 since Knife Edge and the Precipice in Maine (both scarier than the listed ones) are not on it.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »

Thanks, I guess it is just NH scary 25 since Knife Edge and the Precipice in Maine (both scarier than the listed ones) are not on it.

Yes,  Alex and Sage came up with it so it is local to them.  They have a bit of a climbing bug from Hugh and like rocky, bouldery trails or ones with caves to explore so that is what they came up with.   They have not hiked them all and apparently just went off of the White Mtns guide descriptions to find ones for the list  so some aren't that bad..  ie willey's ladders

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »

Seeing those pictures of King's reminds me how much I love it up there.  I need to get back up there when I do Madison.  Did jefferson friday all socked in. Need to get back up there to enjoy it next time.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Grrrr  had plans to finish the 4k's  fri afternoon-sunday  but saturday is looking like a day full of Tstorms...

DLottmann

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »

Grrrr  had plans to finish the 4k's  fri afternoon-sunday  but saturday is looking like a day full of Tstorms...

Sucks, I had plans (along with a few hundred others) to hike Washington for the MWOBS Seek The Peak fundraiser. Not happening. From today’s forecast:

“Conditions are setting up that significant widespread wind damage will be likely and there is even the chance for a derecho to set up or for one or more tornadoes to break out somewhere in the region. And higher summits are not immune from this possibility; see Pikes Peak just two days ago. Even before these increased winds come, winds on the summit are looking to be sustained at 50-70 mph increasing to 60-80 mph. Downdrafts that set up could easily accelerate past the 100 mph mark. Rain will be heavy at times which may bring localized flooding in neighboring ravines and at water crossings. By the time the front exits 1 to 2 inches are expected with locally higher amounts. Hail has a high probability reaching quarter sized or possibly larger depending on the size of the cells passing.”

Pikes Peak tornado: http://www.wunderground.com/news/tornado-pikes-peak-20130715

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »

Sucks, I had plans (along with a few hundred others) to hike Washington for the MWOBS Seek The Peak fundraiser. Not happening. From today’s forecast:

“Conditions are setting up that significant widespread wind damage will be likely and there is even the chance for a derecho to set up or for one or more tornadoes to break out somewhere in the region. And higher summits are not immune from this possibility; see Pikes Peak just two days ago. Even before these increased winds come, winds on the summit are looking to be sustained at 50-70 mph increasing to 60-80 mph. Downdrafts that set up could easily accelerate past the 100 mph mark. Rain will be heavy at times which may bring localized flooding in neighboring ravines and at water crossings. By the time the front exits 1 to 2 inches are expected with locally higher amounts. Hail has a high probability reaching quarter sized or possibly larger depending on the size of the cells passing.”

Pikes Peak tornado: http://www.wunderground.com/news/tornado-pikes-peak-20130715

Welcome to join me on a Eastern half of pemi loop hike  sunday-monday.    I'm giong from LW up to Galehead and North Twin.. then down the Bonds.      Had planned to go in LW maybe up to 13 falls the night before but i might just crash at the trailhead and get an early start.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.