NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coldest places to climb in NE  (Read 1150 times)

DLottmann

Re: Coldest places to climb in NE
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »

In general the Geriatric Walls at Humphreys are in the shade at the base and a few of the climbs are fully shaded.

Which is why they take FOREVER to dry following rain....

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »

Actually Dave, that's not so true, except in exceptional monsoon times such as this June-now! They were dry 3 weeks ago on a day when Miss Saigon was running water.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »

Which is why they take FOREVER to dry following rain....

not really that bad. I can almost always find something to climb down there, unless it's monsoon season as Jeff pointed out.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

mahoosuc notch, climb perfect rock in the sun then get down in the talus to where ice still lives.....

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 10:21:55 PM »

mahoosuc notch, climb perfect rock in the sun then get down in the talus to where ice still lives.....

I did the AT before I was a climber, I've often wondered since if Mahoosuc had climbing and what it was like. Any ice in the winter?
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »

There are several routes in there, some mixed lines on the north facing wall and very obvious trad lines on the south facing wall.  If you go farther south toward the NH/ME border there is a small but high quality cliff right off the AT right around a mile into Maine from the border. In NH you have the obvious North Bald Cap. I always wondered if Gentian Swamp Walls would yield any good rock routes in the summer or fall. Above the upper pond there are some small compact cliffs guarded by krummholtz.......who knows?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »

I did the AT before I was a climber, I've often wondered since if Mahoosuc had climbing and what it was like. Any ice in the winter?

PDF right on this site:  http://www.neclimbs.com/other/MahoosucNotch.pdf

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »

Not the coldest, but maybe the best - The Rumney swimming hole. Thanks in large part to our Canadian friends I think you would have to go to a world famous dance troupe to find as many perfectly formed female rear ends in one spot as were there this weekend. The water was great too. It made all the slimy hot routes running with water worth it.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »

Not the coldest, but maybe the best - The Rumney swimming hole. Thanks in large part to our Canadian friends I think you would have to go to a world famous dance troupe to find as many perfectly formed female rear ends in one spot as were there this weekend. The water was great too. It made all the slimy hot routes running with water worth it.

:)

the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »

Saco Crag late in the day. Quick rte, quick dip, repeat.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

Another option is to find yourself a good quarry, although a good quarry is hard to find.  Here is the granite classic "Double Barrel," V4 in the Berkshires that climbs two drill holes that you undercling in the overhang and then grab above on the face.   "Death Arete" V2 is to the left, although I'm the only knucklehead to do it for "FA glory" since if you fall off left you are talus food.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:56:37 PM by eyebolter »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.