NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoe recommendations?  (Read 566 times)

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Shoe recommendations?
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

Led the Standard Route on the Precipice wall at Acadia yesterday. While trying to do a bit of stemming in the second pitch chimney my shoes lost grip and I damn near fell. Took a while to shake that out even though I was confident in my gear.......

So, I've known for a while that the Scarpas I have been using don't have the greatest rubber; yesterday just confirmed it and I'm now needing to upgrade in some form. I'm far from a well seasoned climber- I started climbing last year in the spring. I'd really like a pair of slippers but I'm open to resoling too. My feet aren't small, I wear a 12-13 street shoe depending on brand. I know Evolve size 13 slippers are way too tight since I bought a pair off ebay over the winter.

I'm still very much in the learning process of climbing so I'd like a good all-around shoe. Any recommendations?  I also have an older pair of Mythos that I'm not thrilled with the rubber on and I could send either pair I currently have out to be resoled- any recommendations on rubber if I go that route?

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

I think Scapra Force X might be right for you if they fit you well.  Good fit is key.
Grammy likes them -
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/scarpa/force-x/
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/scarpa-force-x/108097903

I would recommend staying away from very aggressive shoes like the Sportiva Solution , Miura VS, etc for the time being.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »

At the risk of seeming like a wise guy (not at all my intention), if you have only been climbing since last spring, any shoe you've worn has incredibly sticky rubber compared to what many on this forum climbed on for years (or decades). Your footwork will improve and I would guess that if your feet slipped while chimneying, insufficient counter pressure was more at fault than the stickiness or not of the rubber. That said, having my shoes resoled with C4 (when they are needing a resole) has helped make all of them stick better (with the disadvantage that they wear faster). I have worn La Sportiva shoes now for years (they fit me best!) and have been very happy with the original rubber--I've never worn Mythos, but friends of mine regularly climb harder in Mythos than I've ever climbed in anything. I guess my point is that the rubber is part of it but not the biggest part. Climb a lot, try different shoes, and have fun! You've already tried two of the many brands out there-- I agree with sneoh--Fit is Key!

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »

Ditto everything Jeff said. I personally like Five Ten rubber. Love my VMile’s but I don’t think they make them anymore. For bigger/wider feet I think Five Tens are the best fit, and modern Mythos.

You can climb Standard Route at the Precipice in Five Ten Guide Tennie’s once your dial in your technique... for an official suggestion, I would point you to these:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11028949&cp=3677347.22596386.20211136

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

Actually, Jeff, that thought crossed my mind more than once- so no offense taken by me.

I did not mention that both the Scarpas and the Mythos I bought used. I think I paid $10 for the Mythos mostly to try them out and possibly to resole them. There's still a lot of rubber on the Scarpas though. When I first realized how non-sticky the Scarpa rubber is, I was following a slabby route at Devils Den that my friend had no issue with. I was having a very hard time keeping my feet from sliding. I don't see a long-term benefit to me having a super-sticky (and therefore soft) shoe right now, but I would like a bit more grip than I currently have.

Maybe I'm just trying to project my feeling weak from not having climbed in a month onto my shoes..... :D

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »

All modern shoes are "sticky". Some maybe a bit more than others.... but nothing you will notice, until your footwork is really good. It's far more important to get a properly fitting shoe. If you focus on the rubber, you will probably be disappointed.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »

All good advice.
Another thing - forego the 'sensitive' slippers/shoes for now.  You will like yourself a lot better if you stay with shoes with decent support (ie stiffer) until you've gained better foot 'strength' through climbing for a number of years. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »

Your problem is that your shoes are too big. You need a pair of Mythos size 43.5. Lucky for you i happen to have an almost new pair for sale here on the forum.

In all seriousness, i agree with everyone else that any rubber will be completely adequate for you as long as the shoe fits properly.

I have been using the same style shoe for over 13 years. Found something i liked and stuck with it. Its a Sportiva shoe but i always had it resoled with C4 rubber. Finally wore out all my shoes so i was forced to try something new. I tried Mythos and did not like them a bit. I have now settled on TC Pro's. Great shoe, you should check them out. I am a one shoe type of guy and i think these are going to work for me regardless of climbing style.

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »

I agree with Mr. Mopowers on the TC pros. Great shoe but the cost is absurd. Wait for sales and try on as many "all around" shoes as possible. Find your best fit and take the plunge. I have friends that swear by certain shoes but they just don't fit my feet right. It all about what works for you  8)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »

love my TC Pro's, and agree with M/P about the cost...crazy expensive!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.