NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Just so you all know... I am going to change the default theme for the site to a more modern "curve" theme. It will be the one everyone uses from now on. It will make things a whole lot easier for me to maintain.

THNX

the management

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: back in the soup...  (Read 910 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
back in the soup...
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:22 AM »

after a nice weekend, here we are back in the pea soup again! I hope this ends soon, but it doesn't look promising to me. I'm even starting to go out on hikes in the rain.... SHEESH!

Mount Washington Valley Forecast
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:25 AM

Notice: Heavy, prolonged rains Tue-Wed may lead to flash flooding in areas.
A stalled front to our south today will lift overnight as a warm front followed by a cold front on Wednesday. With moist air in place, todays stalled front will be able to produce scattered rain showers that may turn into thunderstorms during the afternoon. Overnight, the warm front lifts northward continuing scattered rain showers and possibly producing a few thunderstorms. Wednesday may see a brief break in rain shower activity during the morning; however, by the afternoon, the approaching cold front from the west will spread showers and thunderstorms back in. Showers will be slow moving and possibly heavy at times over the forecast period continuing the risk of flash flooding around the state. And conditions by Wednesday afternoon may allow for severe thunderstorms to develop bringing heavier periods of rain, strong and sudden gusts of wind, and large hail.

Wednesday night through Thursday night, the cold front slowly traverses the region continuing widespread rain showers and occasional thunderstorms. Thunderstorms may once again become severe by Thursday afternoon as instability reaches its height. Behind the cold front, cooler and drier air will work in, finally bringing relief from the muggy conditions of recent. And this is where the model agreement ends as the weekend forecast has been all over the map the past few days. As of now, all of them are showing Canadian high pressure building in at the surface. This ridge was supposed to build into the upper atmosphere too, but now each model run is showing a strengthening upper level cutoff low over the region for the weekend. If this comes to be, a continuation of the wet and stormy weather can be expected through the weekend as the atmosphere remains destabilized.

Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: back in the soup...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »

Yesterday (Mon) was nice.  Too hot and humid before that.
This coming weekend might be nice tho.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

Fingers crossed :)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »

rained off and on all day Monday up here... rained this morning, just humid now...3:30pm
Al Hospers

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »

Weird, I watered my garden today because it hasn't rained in over a week.  Pretty good conditions (considering the monsoons) out at the crag here on Sunday, and today was a decent climbing day but I was house bound.   

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »

Got 24 out of my 30mi ride in before it rained a bit on me today..  warm rain in the summer isn't too bad though.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »

Got 24 out of my 30mi ride in before it rained a bit on me today..  warm rain in the summer isn't too bad though.

Rained in the morning, but held off for my MTB ride up Sawyer River Road this afternoon. Lots of hikers up there.
Al Hospers

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »

We're putting in a paver driveway in Bedford, an hour and a half from the shop. 200" of elevation change from the garage down to the street. The damn rain is getting quite frustrating- every morning we end up fixing stuff we did the day prior due to washout. We really should have been done with the job by now but still probably have another week- IF we don't get rained out....

Right now I could care less if stuff is climbable.... I'm just ready to be done with sitting in a truck for 3 hours per day!

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

Sunday night I'm getting my gear together to guide a camp group and my wife says, "What do you guys do when it rains?"

I almost didn't understand the question.

"We climb in the rain?"

Camp Groups don't usually have back up plans so over the last few years I've figured out what routes are climb-able in the rain. Yesterday between downpours we had 3 top-ropes on the Thin Air Face, and it always impresses me how well kids can climb in a full on down pour with little waterfalls coming down the face... They also were really enjoying it... They haven't been "climbers" long enough to know most of "us" don't like to climb in the rain ;)

Some of these kids could TR 5.8 face in total wetness... I think that's kinda cool...

Climbing moderate pitches in the rain is definitely interesting.

TBH I am already thinking ice though and if this wetness keeps up we should have a banner ice season :)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

I guided the Saigons in the rain several years ago and it was hard...and I have it totally wired!
Al Hospers

darwined

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »

More than once this summer, I've imagined myself living in some suburban rainforest whilst I pull the two foot tall weeds out of the vegetable garden.  Great lettuce this year but, everything else is right on the cusp of a game-ending blight.

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

My opinion is a person can't really push himself with the handicap of wet rock. Hence, wet climbing is rather inane.
Again, only my opinion. To each his own.

Lee

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »

Every year I say that the best thing that could happen to my climbing is if it rained all the time.  New Hampshire is an unbelievable place to climb when it's raining, we have like 6 areas that have dry rock almost all the time.  The good thing is that it's mostly hard 5.11 and up.  The reason it's good is you can push yourself real hard and get real strong, and fall ALOT.  When it's nice out I climb long moderate to hard routes that I can send first try.  When it's raining I spend weeks projecting one route, getting frustrated but getting better.  I do miss Cathedral and the South Buttress though.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

Yesterday between downpours we had 3 top-ropes on the Thin Air Face, and it always impresses me how well kids can climb in a full on down pour with little waterfalls coming down the face... They also were really enjoying it... They haven't been "climbers" long enough to know most of "us" don't like to climb in the rain ;)

Some of these kids could TR 5.8 face in total wetness... I think that's kinda cool...

Climbing moderate pitches in the rain is definitely interesting.

when I began climbing, we didn`t have any forecast for rain. they said a 30% or 50 percent chance of rain for quebec, but we climb an hour an a half further north. After the travel, we don't want to go back home. so, we climbed under the rain some days.

From those days, caught by a thunderstorm in the cliff or a drizzle all day long. One day, I had snow during the night and we climb with short sleeve during the day. But we never stay all day in our tent. We always discuss an practice safety. It was time to prusick or to aid climb a tree, do a z pulley, etc. 

DLottmann

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »

I agree Luke, there is always something to do climbing related when it is raining. Itís the best time ever to practice self-rescue skills since the actual climbing sucks :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.