NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fatal accident in Quebec  (Read 426 times)

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
fatal accident in Quebec
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »

A climber felt from her anchor as they begin/wait to climb the second pitch. As it is the case actually, we don't have any information on what happens. it look like a lack of communication between the leader and the second.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/quebec/2013/07/08/005-accident-escalade-mortel-portneuf.shtml

Personally, I use the sequence of three question: I take you on belay (leader)...Do you took me on belay(second) O.K. you can climb (leader). Those signal are constrict on three words: on belay (leader), climbing (second), climb (leader).

I also practice on a slab, where I can watch my partner, to be sure that we use the same communication. Many mistake can be done and some times...and for some people... it can be useless to do such a practice as they can climb hard and talk how good they are after.

Climbing trad, or any situation where a climber have to be in control of his security, is like running a computer. If you run five program in a same time, your computer is going to run slower than if you run one program. In trad, you have to train to place pro, train to have a good communication with your partner, train for route finding, train for run out, route finding, falling, ....

I use the term practice more than train because the former is on a regular basis and the later is over a period of time uniquely

DLottmann

Re: fatal accident in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »

Google Translate of Article:

"Nancy Duquette, originally from Montreal, has a fall of 25 meters when she climbed a rock wall in the Long Lake area.

Miscommunication with his climbing partner is the cause of the accident.

The woman was transported to a hospital in Quebec, where she succumbed to her injuries on Saturday night, in the hours that followed his fall.

As Champ said, not really any details.

Gravity is not forgiving when it comes to mistakes.

RIP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.