NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Poll

Should minors wear helmets rock climbing?

Always (except in the gym)
- 16 (69.6%)
Always (even in gym)
- 4 (17.4%)
Only when trad climbing (not needed when sport climbing)
- 1 (4.3%)
Only when ice climbing
- 0 (0%)
Only when their parents want them too...
- 1 (4.3%)
Never
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 10, 2013, 09:46:48 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should minors wear helmets rock climbing?  (Read 1207 times)

DLottmann

Should minors wear helmets rock climbing?
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »

Poll and discussion to follow. What do you think?

IMO helmets are the norm now for road biking, mountain biking, alpine skiing, ice climbing, and for the most part trad climbing.

I feel sport climbers, young & old, do not have a healthy “helmet culture” and lives are lost because of it.

Modern helmets are light enough and comfortable enough to not really inhibit your 5.12 climbing right?

While I think adults have a right to choose (love living in NH for that reason; see seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws), I don’t think it is responsible for a parent to allow a child to rock climb outdoors without setting the standard that helmets should be worn...

OK, chime in!

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Should minors wear helmets rock climbing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »

Helmet for climbing is a no brainer. Popped off of a 10+ layback a few weeks ago and took a decent backwards almost upside down swing. didn't hit anything but if I had the back of my head would have been a prime target......

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »

We won't let the kids climb without a helmet on.  They all have their own helmets and carry them to the route themselves.  No if's, and's or but's about it.  All of us wear a helmet when climbing and will wear it at the base of a climb if deemed necessary (potential loose rock, etc.).  There really isn't any reason to NOT have the kids wear a helmet when climbing.  There's times I think they should wear it around the house in general, it might make keeping the first aid kit stocked a little easier!

krankonthis

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »

you cant vote never

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »

Yeah, it is an awkward poll, so I would have to say none of the above.

For starters "minors" covers a lot of range. Younger kids - certainly, if just for the reasons that their heads are softer, they're top heavy and usually have less experience. Older teenagers - I would probably encourage them to wear them more then I do, but I would stress general safety protocols and being aware rather than forcing them to wear one  even on overhanging, well bolted  sport routes.

Obviously while getting whacked in the head, wearing a helmet is safer, but I think they also can engender a false sense of safety. When I was a kid nobody ever wore a helmet while biking except some roadbikers and racers. We also wouldn't think of doing flips and spins 20 feet in the air. Now they all wear helmets and just up the craziness.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:19:26 AM »

If my grandson's took up climbing, I would assume that they would wear helmets, since my son always wears his.

I never did, except for alpine routes, which involved ice and loose rock.

Since I just started wearing one last year, and realize the new models are light and comfy, I see no reason not to strongly encourage young climbers to wear them.

I have had numerous close calls over the years, and realize now, that I was negligent in this regard.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »

I need to get a helmet for Ella for the base of the cliff.  Funny how many people wear one to lead but then take it off when back on the ground, where you are most likely to get nailed by a falling rock, gear etc.. 

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »

one of the many idiotic helmet trends is the selective wearing of the helmet. carry it to the crag and then take it on and off throughout the day as though you are predicting when you will have the accident. Either wear it or don't wear it but this whole BS about selectivly wearing the helmet is really amuseing :-[

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »

Do as i say not as I do. Wait I mean keep your laws off my body. Live free or die. Ah shit I am confused maybe we should just wear helmets.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »

my wife and I always wear a helmet, we always fasten our seatbelts and our son does the same! it's just what we all do... there is no discussion about it, and IMNSHO there shouldn't be.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »

I guess my first reaction to the question is - well, kinda nebulous. I think the age of when anyone younger than 18 (that whole adult thing) should where a helmet is a decision best left to the climbing circumstance and that climbers individual age - and adult supervision. I'd say a 12 year old climbing outside should always wear a helmet. Do they really understand the risk of climbing probably having learned in a gym? I'd say a 16 year old probably has a better understanding of the risk and can make their own choice.

OK, reading what I just wrote - I guess really doesn't make sense. Everyone should where a helmet - especially kids - though it all comes down to personal choice.

As for me - all through my 20's and early 30's I only wore a helmet when ice or alpine climbing. After a rock climbing accident where someone almost lost their life getting hit with rockfall at the base of Poke-o my helmet is almost always on as soon as I get to the base of a cliff (yeah, I forget to immediately put it on at times) - and usually doesn't come off until I'm actually walking away for the day.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »

If my grandson's took up climbing, I would assume that they would wear helmets, since my son always wears his.

I never did, except for alpine routes, which involved ice and loose rock.

Since I just started wearing one last year, and realize the new models are light and comfy, I see no reason not to strongly encourage young climbers to wear them.

I have had numerous close calls over the years, and realize now, that I was negligent in this regard.

I'm old school and almost never wore my helmet on rock (it was a Joe Brown head pot BITD, after all), but that didn't really change even after I grudgingly bought a new light bucket. A couple of years ago I went out to Oscar early season with Trad Chick, and she shamed me into wearing it while I led that bolted 5.9 you first hit when you get to the crag. It isn't quite a North Carolina bolt job, but close. Anyway, a crimper I was pulling on blew (note to self: In a place that sees real winters, not Southern winters, all holds should be a little suspect right out of the box in the spring, even on granite trade routes. Back to our programming...) and down I went, caught my feet on a sloper, went over backwards, and snapped the back of my head against the rock. It was about a 20 footer, and even with the helmet popped a hole in my scalp for an impressive, but in the scheme of things trivial, amount of blood. Without the helmet there would have no shit been brains everywhere. I wear my helmet now, all the time. I may be stubborn, but I am educable, eventually. (I voted for kids wearing helmets all the time, even in the gym. Bonus: maybe it will slow the punks down, a little, as they race past my feeble efforts towards 5.ridiculous.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:02:16 AM by pappy »
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

rbirk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »

I am surprised no one in climbing magazines, movies etc is wearing a helmet. It sets a bad precedence and role model and kids take after that. In other sports like biking, skiing and what not they all wear helmets. I just don't get it. Not sure if there is anything we can do about that?

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »

Huge loads of $$ in biking and skiing. Sponsors probably want mom & dad to feel comfortable allowing their kids to partake. Climbing.... notso much. I'm sure "setting a bad example" is the last thing on the minds of people who produce/publish climbing movies & magazines. Anyhow climbing has always been in the "not a good example" sphere.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

it has always bothered me that the climbing mags all show folks without helmets. not just a bad example IMO...stupid.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 27 queries.