NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acadia Accident this past Wednesday, 7-17-13  (Read 1169 times)

DLottmann

Re: Acadia Accident this past Wednesday, 7-17-13
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »

ah, that reminds me... since I'm usually guiding with multiple clients I often have one function as a backup belay... why not? Keeps them involved and could save my ass.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

I think that it is what happen actually. and you have to do some thing because the population can't trust guide any more.

Yup, all guides with years of training and certification and practice teaching are dangerous fellows ;) Please do not trust them...

can't trust and are not trustable is two things. When one said that the client is so stupid that he can not hold a rope...and the client took a guide to learn it??? I don't think that we can trust the guide (note: saying that it is like a solo when you climb with a client is different because it gave the large eventuality that on one hundred client you felt on a bad one).

I rather prefer a discussion on what we can improve to gain the respect of the client/climber/friend than a discussion that you are good and the clients are idiot.

At least two accident in acadia, one in quebec, is it a record of accident with a very low population of climber outside? Low population, the same risky situation, just the knowledge of the climber can explained the numb er of accident recently. 

For some time, people try to discourage other to learn to climb in many condition: if there is a little wind on mt Washington turn back. Instead of asking where is the point of non-return and the point where the risk of injury is at the maximum level of the climber (for my part when I can broke a arm or leg, it is acceptable, the colon and the head is not acceptable i.e. I most see the danger for that). But in a gym, with bolt, there is no point of no-return...just try and try and try again to your death. 

DLottmann

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

this sounds similar to something you have said before...

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »

How does one break their colon anyhow?
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »

is it a record of accident with a very low population of climber outside? Low population, the same risky situation, just the knowledge of the climber can explained the numb er of accident recently. 
Low population of climbers outdoors?  How I wish that were true, Champ.  But I bet if you were to take a scientific survey, the data will prove otherwise.  And, I hardly think any reasonable person can draw the same conclusion as you - "just the knowledge of the climber can explained the number of accident recently.".  YOU see what you WANT to see, ignoring other possible explanations.

After a colon is broken, is it a broken colon or a semi colon? :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Davewalks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Maybe true. Maybe not. Best believe.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

It might be off topic now...but I wonder why there have been so many accidents in Acadia recently? I envision the popular spots there as junkshows....but that doesn't really explain it. Just thinking....

DLottmann

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »

Just came across this great read... gonna post it here but itís worthy of itís own thread. Champ, I think youíll agree with a lot of this as I think the author speaks to what you try to get across often here:

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/dumb-climbing

"If climbing isnít there already, it is fast approaching a perfect storm where there are more climbers than ever who know less than ever about climbing safety."

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »

How does one break their colon anyhow?

spinal column

colonne vertebrale is in French. my mistake
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.