NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorado Climbing  (Read 346 times)

garyk

• NEClimbs Newbie
Colorado Climbing
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »

Sandra and I have just returned from a trip to Estes Park ,Colorado. We rented a cabin there for two weeks of climbing and hiking. It's an ideal location with Rocky Mountain National Park in the backyard, and the Front Range, including Boulder's Flatirons and Eldorado Canyon an hour away. We started with a hike up Deer Mountain, 6 mile round trip to 10,000' to acclimate. Next day we climbed in Lumpy Ridge, the first pitch of Melvin's Wheel and White Whale, stopping before weather came in. On Saturday we hiked in to Ypsilon Lake to camp at Upper Chipmunk in hopes of climbing the Blitzen Ridge. The weather came in with hail, rain, thunder and lightning that night. We had a brief clear start, but not enough to do the route. We broke camp in the rain and hiked out. Next day was off to Boulder to visit Neptune Mountaineering, a must see when in the area. Huge climbing/outdoor shop as well as a mountaineering museum.Tuesday found us on Macgregor Slab, a 600 foot formation . We did about 9 pitches up and across, making a good day of it. Great views of Estes and RMNP. Wednesday was off to Laramie, Wyoming to recon the Snowy Range for future climbs. Next day it was down to Eldorado Canyon.We climbed the Bastille Crack with our guide, Bob Chase from Colorado Mountain School. I found it a tough but satisfying climb, and Sandra climbed it extremely well. A beautiful climb in a beautiful setting. Friday we climbed at Jurassic Park, an area above Lily Lake just outside of town. It is primarily sport, with a little trad mixed in. On Saturday, we hiked/bushwhacked/talus scrambled up to The Crags, an area on the other side of Lily Lake. We did a climb called Point of Honor, a small spire  with great exposure. The next day was a hike day. We left the Chapin Creek trailhead and summited Chapin, Chiquita, and finally Ypsilon at 13,514'. Gorgeous day, we saw bull elk, a small herd of bighorn sheep, and a million alpine wildflowers. Monday we went back sport cragging at Jurassic, a fun outing. On our last full day, we hiked again, this time out of Wild Basin to Ouzel falls. Then it was travel day, but we had a late flight so we took a stand up paddleboard lesson at Boulder Reservoir on our way to the airport. An excellent vacation, highly recommended. Now that we are back we're looking forward to White Ledge, North Bald Cap, and anything else off of the beaten path.

DLottmann

Re: Colorado Climbing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

You two are amazing, Great TR, White Whale was my first CO climb! Let me know when you guys are heading our way, would love to join you for a trip out to White Ledge! Itís only a couple miles from my house...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.