NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Intro to Aid Climbing Clinic  (Read 1116 times)

jclimbs

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Intro to Aid Climbing Clinic
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »

Mark Synott is scheduled to instruct a day long clinic on Aid Climbing in North Conway, Saturday, August 24th.  As of this posting only 3 people are signed up and we need 6 to make it a go, 8 would be best to keep the cost down.  What will be covered: The mechanics of aid climbing, how to properly place and test your gear, rope and rack management, anchor systems, jugging, cleaning/lower outs, and if we have time - hauling.

If you are interested in this clinic please PM me and I will get you connected with the person organizing the day.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Intro to Aid Climbing Clinic
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

I took an aid course with Mark several years ago and I though it was very good. that man really knows his stuff.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »

8:1 aid climbing clinic? Iíd rather throw down the $$$ to hire Mark for 1v1... bet I would get way more out of the day...

realize with groups that size you move through material at the slowest participants pace... if you really want to get the basics of aid down I would shoot for 1:1 or 2:1 if it was with the person I planned on aid climbing with... just sayiní...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:01:39 PM by DMan »

jclimbs

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »

You can say 1:1 is a better ratio for ANY hands-on instruction. No doubt.  I think it depends on what your objectives are as a learner.  In this case, if you plan to do a lot of aid climbing, perhaps a clinic is a good way to start so that you get a feel for what it is all about.  Then for subsequent instruction you seek out the lower ratios.  Or if you aren't sure you want to get into aid climbing but are just interested in how it all works, this might be a worthwhile approach.  Or if you are primarily a free climber and would like to have a few basic aid skills in your quiver for rescue, bad weather on a route, etc, then gaining the basics in a clinic like this might be all you need.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

Or, as an alternative you could... go..... aid climbing.
i know, crazy....

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »

^^^Jesus Christ! If you don't like the idea of the damn course than don't take it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:24:59 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

Jesus Christ! If you don't like the idea of the damn course than don't take it.

Was that directed to Frik? A bit over-reaction to his suggestion donchathink?

As far as Frikís suggestion, Iíve tried aid climbing 2-3 times on my own, read lots of books on it, have a fair understanding of all the concepts, and would still take a 1v1 course with Mark given his experience with the style... Bet I could learn more in 8 hours with him than I could in a week by myself...

And to respond again to the OPís followup, my suggestion is based off the number of clients I have seen turn solid independent climbers who later confided the money they spent on guides the first couple years would have been better spend in private instruction. I think ďgroup ratesĒ are excellent for two reasons (this holds true to all adventure sports IMO):

1) Adventure vacation stuff...

2) Not sure Iíll like it

So if you have a feeling youíre going to be getting into aid climbing, Iíd suggest the smaller ratio type course. Either way, hope your course fills, and if it doesnít just ask Mark what itíll cost to keep it running with those who have signed up.

darwined

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »

Jesus Christ! If you don't like the idea of the damn course than don't take it.

WORD!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »

well since DMan works for EMS, needless to say he isn't going to take the course.  :P
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »

well since DMan works for EMS, needless to say he isn't going to take the course.  :P

What's that have to do with anything? Mark has some extensive aid and big wall experience, if I had money to spend on a guide (and a real interest in aid climbing) I would definitely take the course from him or Chauvin.

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

Douche man strikes again!

darwined

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »

Uh oh

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »

This is gonna turn into some "Gangs of North Conway" shiz... The humidity and rain getting to you all that bad?
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

darwined

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

This is gonna turn into some "Gangs of North Conway" shiz... The humidity and rain getting to you all that bad?

something like this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYAA285gY0

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

Douche man strikes again!

I see the adults have now joined the conversation. :P

When I was guiding I would quite often explain to clients that they will get way more education per dollar spent in a private or semiprivate day than in a group lesson. Aside from the class having to go at the pace of the slow person with 1 or 2 people a good guide can quickly assess your skill level and skip alot of the stuff they might do with a group. For example, if you find yourself working with a client who has been trad climbing for 30 years and is really solid on trad 11's are you going to spend as much time talking about gear placement as you would with a client who has been trad climbing for a year?

D'man made some good points and it doesn't matter one bit that he works for EMS especially when he gave 2 other guides a plug! He also stated you have to decide what you want to get from the class. He offered some things to think about that are good points and I thought that was part of the point of this site!

IMO there in no one better in NH than Synott or Chauvin to learn aid from. Marc Chauvin is in France for the summer and he just posted pics last week of them climbing Cosmic Arrete. I got really jealous!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 23 queries.