NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleural effusion....  (Read 1641 times)

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Pleural effusion....
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »

While this is nothing like what strandman is going through, its still going to keep me off the rock for a while yet.

Found out a week ago I have fluid between my lung and ribcage on my right side. Went in to get it drained today only to find out via ultrasound that there are adhesions in the fluid, which are essentially like scar tissue that is creating pockets in the fluid. So, about my only option is to have it surgically removed. I'm meeting with the surgeon tomorrow morning and my assumption is the procedure will be next week. I'm too young for this shit!!

perswig

• NEClimbs God
Re: Pleural effusion....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »

Troy and I were at Lost Horizon this weekend and I was thinking about your trad leads out there.  Sorry to hear it's not just free fluid going on with you.  Did they just do rads initially w/o an u/s, or was today's a recheck with adhesions newly forming?  Any tentative diagnosis for your issues? 

Should be SOP but would inquire as to whether they plan to culture the fluid and submit for cytology as well in hopes of ID'ing a cause.  Seems worrisome in someone I assume is young and otherwise healthy.  Any history of old trauma?  Recent pneumonia/bronchitis/fever?

Good luck getting over this whatever-it-is and salvaging your rock season!
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

Thanks, Dale.

The symptoms started appearing about a month ago, mostly a "creaking" in my chest that I attribute to my lung rubbing across my ribs.  After the symptoms (shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, movement of the feeling in my chest) worsened last week I finally broke down and went to get checked.  I had x-ray's done at the walk-in clinic that I went to last Wednesday.  My primary care was out of town for the week so the walk-in after work hours is the route I went.  The chest x-ray is what led to the diagnosis.  I got a referral to see a pulmonologist and met with him Friday last week, basically an initial consult.  It was set up on Friday for the thoracentisis (sp?), aka- tap/drain, today with the ultrasound to guide the tap.

What I didn't mention in my first post was that twice today I felt as if I was going to pass out right before the doctor was going to start the actual procedure.  Part of it was that the room was small and had no air circulation.  There was also 7 people in the room and I was instructed not to eat anything for 4 hours before the CT scan which was scheduled for 1:30.  It was after my "normal" lunch time (noon-ish) when this all occurred too, so I'm sure blood sugar played no small part in how I felt.  The doc was going to stick the needle in me anyway, even if it drained only one pocket so that labs could be run on it, but after my second episode of feeling hot/ready to pass out, he decided not to since there would be little benefit right now.

I don't know how long the adhesions have been there.  My guess, from discussing it with the doc today, is that it's related to a severe bout of costochondritis that I had about 2 years ago.  Costo is an inflammation of the cartilage and connective tissue around the lungs.  I was never officially diagnosed with it, but my symptoms fit to a "T" what I found online and after starting a heavy regimen of ibuprofen it pretty quickly went away.  My assumption is whatever is removed during the surgical procedure will be sent off for labwork.  The doc told me last Friday that the ideal situation is (obviously) that this never comes back, and that they not figure out what caused it.  If they can figure out definitively what caused it, chances are good that it won't be good.

"Young and otherwise healthy"- yeah, that's the problem.  I'm 34 and have had no major health issues.  The guy that checked off the form for the CT today made the comment that I was the easiest one he'd ever had as far as medical history/issues!  Hell, I've never even broken any bones.  I don't remember the last time I missed work due to *me* being sick...

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

Dan hope they figure this out for you. The broken bone thing happens a lot in the climbing world watch out.
bailing is not failing!!!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »

Good luck man...sucky anyway...i had no symptoms of anything and now it's a shitstorm...i originally thought pleurisy..guess not

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »

Met with the surgeon this morning.  Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday morning at Frisbie in Rochester.  Doc said I should be home by Friday, likely no restrictions following surgery but probably 6-8 weeks until I'm feeling 100%. :(

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »

this should be a positive move. get it taken care of and you'll be good to go...

Met with the surgeon this morning.  Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday morning at Frisbie in Rochester.  Doc said I should be home by Friday, likely no restrictions following surgery but probably 6-8 weeks until I'm feeling 100%. :(
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »

Put away all the climbing gear earlier. The gear rack hasn't been filled up like that since April or so.... Thinking about packing some of it in a small bag to take to the hospital and work on some rigging and hauling scenarios with my fiance while I'm there.

My hope is that we'll be back on the rock in some fashion by the end of the month!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »

good luck man. let us know how you're going if you can. big positive vibes going out to you...
Al Hospers

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

another cripple climbing club member..hang tough man

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

Good luck tomorrow, danf, if you're still on with the surgeon.
Have lots of climbing vids to watch while your sucking down prescription narcotics!

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »

Made it through surgery OK. Sitting here with 2 chest tubes coming out of me and 2 other incisions stitched up. Throat is sore from the intubation tube. I'm tired but on the road to recovery at this point.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »

good good good news...
Al Hospers

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

That is great!  You are clearly clear minded, judging from your last post.
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, Dan.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »

Just got an oxycodone a bit ago. Plan is to get up this morning after the oxy kicks in and move around a bit. Still pushing stuff out of my chest tubes but nothing unexpected. Mentally I'm more than ready to go home but I know I'm physically not even close to it...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.