NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs...  (Read 472 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Bugs...
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »

it's really a crap shoot out there now. On Tuesday I was at Humphry's and the mosquitoes were horrible. Then I was out in the woods over by the Middle School next to the Swift River on Wednesday and there were no bugs at all. On Thursday I was in the deep woods between Town Hall Road in Bartlett and Chatham and there were some biting gnats, kind of like Blackflies but not, that ate me up - even with DEET. I walked the dog this morning at 8 and the gnats were out, but I was sitting out on my deck at lunch and there were none!!!!

:o

I just figure that spraying down with DEET bug dope is the only rational thing to do.  :-\
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Bugs...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »

God bless you Al, haven't used DEET since the 1980's.  I'll take the bug bites over possible death by cancer any day.  Anything that will damage paint, melt plastics and destroy furniture you can bet isn't good to put on your skin.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:17:33 PM by eyebolter »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »

Same here.  I have not used repellant with DEET in it for over a decade.
The last few times I was out, I only had to put repellant on my ears, neck, and forehead to be comfortable from the worst bites.  And I wear long pants.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »

Use whatever you want, but I would point out  that DEET is one of the more extensively studied compounds around, decades of investigations by numerous national health organizations around the globe have found zero effect on human health.

If the fact that it unzips some polymers freaks you out, well, I can supply you with numerous polymers that are dissolved by dihydrogen oxide, which is after all one of the most corrosive chemicals known and will kill you if inhaled.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

I agree with Pappy. I think Deet is pretty harmless to adults. I don't use it unless they are out in force and biting though... never understood the parents who douse their kids the second they get out of the car at a trail-head even if there are zero bugs about...

Also studies show 30% deet is just as effective as 100% so I don't use the 100% anymore...

I also use Permethrin, even on my kid carrier (once dry it can not leech into skin).

Bottom line these two repellents, one for skin, one for gear, are way healthier than some of the mosquito/tick borne illnesses out there, and I've never had good luck with the naturals (though that is what I use on my 22 month old son).

I recently blogged about how I stay outdoors with my kiddo during bug season... http://adventurewithalex.com/2013/07/08/bugs-babies/

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »

DEET? I find when I drink it I am impervious to bugs.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »

Good post DMan.  Thanks.
Yup, the All Terrain Kids stuff is what we use in my family.  Pretty effective for kid and adults alike.  When we visit the old country we are more diligent; dengue fever is no joke and can be a killer.  Here I worry more about ticks although I suffer greatly when black flies bite.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »

the EEE and the like that's going around from mosquito bites is pretty nasty, more deadly than Lyme for sure. I want to keep 'em away from me. I'll take my chances & use the DEET...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »

+1 on Permethrin. Seems to do a great job keeping ticks away if you treat your clothing.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

Use whatever you want, but I would point out  that DEET is one of the more extensively studied compounds around, decades of investigations by numerous national health organizations around the globe have found zero effect on human health.

If the fact that it unzips some polymers freaks you out, well, I can supply you with numerous polymers that are dissolved by dihydrogen oxide, which is after all one of the most corrosive chemicals known and will kill you if inhaled.

I haven't used it since I worked in the Maine woods summers in college and it would take the paint off my pencils.   But it may well be fine for your skin as you say.  I just get bitten and deal with it.

DLottmann

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »

Not sure how one just "deals with" Triple EEE or West Nile Virus. Both rare, but there have been twenty cases of EEE in Nh and West Nils last year in Maine.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/list_mosquitoborne.htm

Granted, still really rare. I got sick this Spring from a tick bite in MA. 24 hours on my ass. The prudent person wears bug dope when they are biting. Unless you are "training" for real mountains. J/K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.