Author Topic: where is the climber who snake the cliff?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
where is the climber who snake the cliff?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
many climber in the old time used to train by climbing two or three route at cathedral or Canon just to stay in good shape. I saw some of them climbing just aside us and asking the permission to pass us and going up as fast as they appear from the bottom. climbing six pitches of 150 feet is the equivalent of a building of 90 stairs, a good exercise and healthy activity.  If we think that it is more fun and harder than climbing stairs, it is harder to understand that few party "snake the cliff" just to have fun with a good partner.

Today, we saw group of people whit a leader who power a movement without too much technique, like an elephant in a circus. He amuse the public, doing hardly two or three pitches, if it is not staying all day in one or two moves, and falling again and again, disturbing the wildlife and neighbor around the area.

I use the word snake because they are very much like them going up a cliff with the cold and rapid approach of the animal, and the rope zigzagging fluently is very similar to a snake. As they do a new move at each three or five feet, they use a lot of different technique and they had a lot of experience. I remember looking at four team in a week end and they always use the same spot to place there pro even if they on sight the route. They are skill in technique and in the way they protect themselves. When you asked them a question, they can't answer because there reaction on the rock was instinctive, the survival instinct of an animal in the wild.

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: where is the climber who snake the cliff?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »
The purpose of this post escapes me.  Sorry.  Really.  Is there a question somewhere in there?
I think Tradman does plenty of "snaking" for fun and exercise at his fave Vt crags.  And I am sure he is not alone in this practice. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:16:34 AM »
I must say that I have no idea what this is about...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
I must say that I have no idea what this is about...

Maybe true, but I guarantee where it's headed!
Don't Climb

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »
Brilliant!

Luke, you have surpassed all expectations....

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
many climber in the old time used to train by climbing two or three route at cathedral or Canon just to stay in good shape. I saw some of them climbing just aside us and asking the permission to pass us and going up as fast as they appear from the bottom. climbing six pitches of 150 feet is the equivalent of a building of 90 stairs, a good exercise and healthy activity.  If we think that it is more fun and harder than climbing stairs, it is harder to understand that few party "snake the cliff" just to have fun with a good partner.

Today, we saw group of people whit a leader who power a movement without too much technique, like an elephant in a circus. He amuse the public, doing hardly two or three pitches, if it is not staying all day in one or two moves, and falling again and again, disturbing the wildlife and neighbor around the area.

I use the word snake because they are very much like them going up a cliff with the cold and rapid approach of the animal, and the rope zigzagging fluently is very similar to a snake. As they do a new move at each three or five feet, they use a lot of different technique and they had a lot of experience. I remember looking at four team in a week end and they always use the same spot to place there pro even if they on sight the route. They are skill in technique and in the way they protect themselves. When you asked them a question, they can't answer because there reaction on the rock was instinctive, the survival instinct of an animal in the wild.

gotta quote and save these things so they don't get deleted people ;)
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
Can a snake do the X position?

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
I've witnessed two snakes fall from cliffs but never once saw an elephant fall -- so I think that blows a giant hole in your theory Luke.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

darwined

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
Why must you ridiculise elephants?In the golden ages snakes and elephants would have a friendly discussion at the base of cliff.  Now it is hard to tell the elephants they should stick to sport climbing because there is lack of discussion.   ;-?

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
An elephant or a snake in the X position--boggles the mind! ???

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Two snakes can form an "X" or "V" or ..... :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Yes, but elephants have strong trunks.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
True. But can either snakes or elephants do the move described as:
take a look with your hand to find good hold over the overhang, find some thing, throw your leg on the edge of the roof, turn your body over the overhang and push with the lower leg and try to find a rest.
?? ??
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:57:52 PM by danf »

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 07:57:25 PM »
saw a milk snake in Toe crack and another milk snake half way up a sport climb (does that count?) @ shangrila . A bat flew out from behind a loose block that Alex trundeled from Mo Pleasure last weekend. pretty sure it was a trad bat because it was on the 1st pitch which is mixed. the 2nd pitch is sport though so perhaps the bat was a gym climber :o

darwined

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »
I'm thinking squirrels are definitely trad climbers. Ever seen the dynos those suckers are capable of? Don't even gets me started about their nut placements!