NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: where is the climber who snake the cliff?  (Read 1634 times)

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: where is the climber who snake the cliff?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »

Hey Jacques, what you are describing is one of New England's greatest traditions.
Getting some mileage in,  training for the greater ranges. Simply moving efficiently with a competent partner is a pure joy in itself, even if not training.

Go easy on the Elephants, they are people too.

Don't Climb

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

Hey Jacques, what you are describing is one of New England's greatest traditions.
Getting some mileage in,  training for the greater ranges. Simply moving efficiently with a competent partner is a pure joy in itself, even if not training.

I agree with you

Before I looked at those climber who snaked up the cliff and I learned technique just to see them climbing or to listen to the experience climber. To have a better view, I suggest that the authority cut the pine in front of the cliff where the picknick table are to allow tousrism and new climber a better idea of the sport. Lay backing, or some think close to that, was the words they used to describe climber who take the last beer at the bottom of the cliff looking at the climber, criticize the technique and learning about that.

I even remember that All wrote in a thread that he looked some climber for an hour and as nothing happen go back home. I admit that my comparison about elephant can be exaggerated and I apologize. I was shock that those people think that they are good and the people with them too. When you climb in silent only the climber look at you and see your technique, when you climb loudly, they look at them as if they are hero, but the reality is that they are closer to an accident than the silent climber. Ordinarly I turn my head do avoid to take bad default.

I was mad about that and I told it at loud.

I shouldn't   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:19:19 PM by lucky luke »

DLottmann

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »

17 replies and 200+ views and I finally think I get what Champ was trying to say.

Heís saying climbers who hoot and hollar while throwing for holds (aka climbing like Elephants) are not as cool as climbers who do the same climb quietly... I think that is what he is saying... maybe... shit I really donít know.

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »

To be fair maybe that climber was pushing their limit at that grade. Perhaps they do mileage days at 5.6 and struggle on 8s..... Hard to judge fairly without knowing their story...

Darwined.... Maybe squirrels are the perfect analogy animal.... They place nuts AND dyno ..... Maybe they aren't Trad OR Sport...... Perhaps just climbers....
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

Ah, I get it; snake = 'silent and smooth', elephant in a china shop = 'loud and destructive'.
Quiet feet and slick with everything else is good.  Climb like a ballerina too.
LL - don't go bouldering with youngsters if you can't accept grunts and screams.

No, I think you shouldn't have told the grunter/punter off.  Move away or walk away is best.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:17:16 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »

Oh I see.... Grunting for attention in a boastfull manor... That's different than a grunt of exertion. Telling someone off wont change them.... Lead by example :)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »

Simply moving efficiently with a competent partner is a pure joy in itself

Word.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »

There was a doctor friend of Dave Walters years ago that climbed Shoestring Gully in Crawfords and while "screwed off" at a belay, he snaked the hotty chick that was his partner for the day.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »

Simply moving efficiently with a competent partner is a pure joy in itself

Word.
Dale

I agree.

where is the problem "with" today?

I think that some one most learn the basic technique with a guide in trad route to be able to move efficiently on the cliff. Doing boulder and rope technique are two opposite. As you get the basic technique, it is good to follow a leader of multi pitch for a year who climb to your strength level (i.e. some one who can not do one pull up will hardly climb ten feet of layback. better to stay in your bracket of strength to have more pleasure: not be afraid by over your head move). As you know how to belay and anchor correctly in many situation, your leader will bring you in short lead where you will learn advance rope technique (we all find boring belaying, but it is necessary). After, you will be able to climb with a friend who is at the same level of you and after a while, bring your friend in route under your level to gain experience and be safer.

In that way, you climb with many person: with experience climber, climber at your level and beginner...kind of pyramide where it will be just pure joy.

In fact, as we look in a mirror, we always find some default, some think that we don't like on us, a partner can not be perfect and often you choose the default of your partner more than is quality.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »

so... people are having fun.. climbing how they want...  but doesn't conform to some idiots delusional standard for climbing so they are wrong? wtf.. 

man he would have really hated my old climbing parters when we were all together at the crag... way too much fun being had
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

some idiots delusional standard

can you describe "standard"

and which standard you are referring too.

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »

I could be wrong but as I remember Lucky Luke is a good climber. Dman what is your take on his climbing ability?
This does not mean that I endorse all that he writes on line nor does it mean that I disagree with all that he writes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:26:07 PM by David_G48 »

DLottmann

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »

I've never climbed with him or watched him climb but I have close friends who have and he is pretty good. As much as his rants give me headaches I don't think he deserves the kind of personal attack Jake just dropped on him.

In person he is a super nice guy.

Online he is a fanatic over-thinking over-analyzing, philosophical nut-case who sees the world in black & white and has a ir-rational dislike of formal education that rubs me the wrong way...

Other than that he is A-OK!

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »

I clipped bolts at Rumney with Jacques for a week onetime.... just kidding.

I have climbed with him though, he is a good climber, very safe and a responsible leader and a polite courteous gentleman.
His internet alter ego, Lucky Luke, on the other hand, can make my head spin.
Don't Climb

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »

it would be a good idea if folks didn't resort to personal attacks here. disagreements are fine...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.