NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest Face of North Percy Peak  (Read 371 times)

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
Southwest Face of North Percy Peak
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »

Went up and climbed the Southwest Face of North Percy Peak yesterday on what was probably one of the best days of the summer. If you're looking for an accessible backcountry climb I would highly recommend it! The views on the climb are great and from the summit pretty amazing 360 views!

The description in the routes section is pretty accurate in regards to getting to the base of the climb. With that said the bushwhack is a bit of a thrash. And getting to the actual lowest point probably involves luck! We came to the slab about midway up the first pitch and started there.

Pitch 1 - traversed across the slab to join P1 as described. We belayed higher than is indicated on topo. 200'

Pitch 2 - climbed straight up unprotected slab to an overlap and trended left to second belay as indicated on topo. 170'

Pitch 3 - as described

Pitch 4 - as described

The climb was never harder than 5.4 and the rock is really nice. You could probably climb about any line and not get into serious trouble.

On a side note - if you have Verizon you can actually get a pretty good LTE signal which helped us in the bushwhack using the GPS. The "easier" thrash still took us a bit high. If I were to do it again I'd probably trend more left low and then head uphill to the slab. Good luck if you have ATT getting a usable signal.

Thanks to Brad for the information online - it's a great setting and a fun day out!

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
Re: Southwest Face of North Percy Peak
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »

Having worked in Groveton for 7 years, and eyeballing Percy Peaks the whole time (yet never actually DOING it), kudos to you. Nice, thick woods up there for sure.

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
Re: Southwest Face of North Percy Peak
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

The upper west side trail, now unmaintained but followable, was put up by Robert and Miriam Underhill. It is a fun and sporting trail that I just did a few weeks ago with my son. The blueberrys were huge!
work hard, play harder
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 23 queries.