NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is with the cover shot?  (Read 1193 times)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
What is with the cover shot?
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »

Damned impressive lead, so why tilt it to make it look overhanging?  Climbing mag had a shot of some chick leading seventh seal and it looked like it was dead vertical.  Havent done it in a while but it was full on slab as far as i remember.  Is reality not impressive enough?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: What is with the cover shot?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

I posted it the way I got it...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:48:18 AM »

It is very difficult to get proper perspective when takeing climbing photos.  seems like most of the time i get my camera from my partner after my best lead and all the photos look flat as the little kids majick carpet at the ski hill. Without an arcitectual shift lens getting correct perspective is not an easy task and for every shot that looks tilted too steep there are 10 shots that look flat as a pancake. No one wants to see the flat as a pancake photo so we publish the steep looking shot.

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »

Agreed Tradman, but "proper perspective" on a vertical climb isn't 20 degrees overhanging (look at the trees), and on Seventh Seal it sure as hell isn't dead vertical.   Hell, why not make seventh seal a roof?    That would be really impressive for a 5.10.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »

If Stagefright WAS overhanging, you might not hit the ledge when you fall off..just Thin Air

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »

Using the trees as a vertical "reality" check really isn't that difficult when framing a shot. That picture would be just as impressive a shot had it been framed properly IMO.

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »

That picture would be just as impressive a shot had it been framed properly IMO.

Agreed, but I also don't think in this shot they were intentionally making it look steeper.

First world problems eh?

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

Damn, it must be a slow news week or a lack of bolt controversies for us to get worked up over the pic which was sent to Al.  How about bitching about the bad weather predicted for this weekend instead?  Darn it, I was hoping to get a good couple of days in .....

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »

Slow drivers and traffic. Now that gets me aggravated.

Bad weather? Find a suitable activity. Can't let it get ya down. :)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »

Damn, it must be a slow news week or a lack of bolt controversies for us to get worked up over the pic which was sent to Al.  How about bitching about the bad weather predicted for this weekend instead?  Darn it, I was hoping to get a good couple of days in .....

I'm not worked up, but it came on the heels of that rock and ice pic of seventh seal which was just silly.   We used to laugh at the reinhold messner photos showing porter"s packs tipped out by 20 degrees to make it look steeper.   Just asking for a little true perspective in photos is all.   Else we are heading towards the monty python skit where they are "rock climbing" pounding pitons in on a sidewalk.   A photo of leading Stage Fright is plenty impressive enough without tilting the camera.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:46:45 PM by eyebolter »

perry

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »

For christ's sake! If you had seen his previous toprope attempt you wouldnt have been worrying about proper perspective. After seeing him quake and fall off 3 times and fuck up the gear, I wasn't sure if I was about to capture a historic ascent or a historic groundfall. When you're ready for your stage fright lead, I'll be sure to bring up the perspective correction lens, a level, and compass and set up on a special line to the right of Aeration just for you.

Climbing photography is hard, let's go shopping!

Now that were out of things to complain about, lets all go climbing instead?

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

Perry, if your shot is happenstance then I have no problem with it.  I know shooting climbs is hard, i have done it myself.  Like I said this is coming on the heels of the shot of that dead vertical seventh seal in climbing,  and what I perceive  to be the deliberate sensationalization of climbing photogrpahy. Apologies if that was not your intent.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

Perry- maybe you should tilt it the other way so it looks like a fuckin' slab 8)

I think it's a good shot of an impressive send, gotta grab the action  when you can

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »

.... gotta grab the action  when you can
This is right on the money.

I take pretty good pics of things which do not move fast and shots which are not action oriented.
I am lousy (but getting better) at action shots and taking good pics of my kid.  Thank goodness for digital cameras.  If not, I would have thrown way prolly a hundred rolls worth of prints just the last five years combined.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »

This shot from friday is a perfect example of the norm for grab and go climbing shots. the climb is a little bit past verticle at this point. If you look closely at the draw just above Isa it does not lay on the rock it actually hangs a little bit away from the rock yet this photo makes it look flatter than beginners rt on Whitehorse. If there was a way i could have tilted the camera to get a decent shot while belaying  i would have been all over it ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:16:19 PM by tradmanclimbz »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.