NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever saved another climbers life?  (Read 666 times)

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Have you ever saved another climbers life?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »

Here is another episode where if I had not acted quickly, this guy would of most certainly died.

About 8 years ago, I guess, I was visiting Crow Hill.  Arriving at the base of the main wall, by Tarzan, I look up and see this guy rapping off the Lizard Head, hanging upside down, with a heavy pack on. He was absolutely motionless, and something didn't look right to me.

In a few seconds, I realized that the rope wasn't reaching the ground, and in fact he only had about 2 feet left, and of course, there was NO knot in the end of the rope. He was way up there, only about 15 feet down from the lip, facing a 60-70 foot drop, head first, onto the boulders.

He wasn't uttering a sound, while his two friends at the bottom, waiting for him, were clueless as to his predicament.

I yelled up to him to hold on and I'm coming up as fast as possible.  His only reply was an almost inaudible "hurry", and I could tell he was terrified.

Again, his 2 partners were clueless. I told these 2 guys to get their asses in gear and follow me, and told them that I'll explain what were going to do, as we run up the trail. We took 2 ropes with us.

My plan was very simple, and I hoped these guys were familiar with belaying etc. When we got up to the top, I yelled down to the guy that help was on it's way, and to hold on a little longer.
I set up the 2 anchors, and it was fortunate there were trees around, which made the setup go quicker. One guy would lower me off the overhang, and the other guy would be set up to lower the guy hanging, once he let go. I took the end of the 2nd rope, with me. Both me and the guy were hanging over this overhang, and I was thinking to myself, this guy better hang on. Once I got to him, I clipped the rope into his harness with a locking biner.

I yelled up to the guy that he was clipped in and be ready to take his weight. I told the guy it was OK to let go, and in an instant he started to fall--real fast. I reacted, thinking what the hell went wrong, and I reached over, clamping down on the rope, with one hand, trying to slow him down. I assume the guy up top really wasn't prepared to take the guy's weight plus the heavy looking pack.
 Soon after, the acceleration of the guy slowed dramatically, and I probably gave myself a bad rope-burn for nothing. After the guy was safely on the ground, I was lowered. The poor guy was kind of in shell shock, just sitting there, and not really knowing what to say, I went over to him and said, " I bet you will never do that again".

In hindsight, since the guy had about 2 feet of rope left, I suppose that I could of instructed him to tie a knot in both ends of the rope, but I really didn't think of it at that moment, and who knows if that would of come out well.

After retrieving my gear from his 2 partners, I decided to do a few laps on my favorite climbs, irregardless of my rope burn, since I had driven an hour to get there.

DLottmann

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »

Wow... scary indeed. I don't think I would have trusted Dumb & Dumber for any part of the rescue and would have rapped to him, clipped him to a long sling, and "spidered" him off... sure, uncomfortable as hell but doesn't rely on wankers above (who might have dropped you)...

Hindsight being 20/20, you definitely saved this dude's ass at great personal risk and that is something few of us have an opportunity to do... well done.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:38:36 AM by DMan »

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »

July 4, 1998 - a whole group of climbers from NH and PA meet up at Poke-O. I was getting ready to climb a one pitch route with Base even though it looked like rain.

I heard that story many times by Base. Never a good remember for him. As I went to his birthday party, I met a lot of climber who climbed with him, telling story...not about his quality of climber, but quality as partner and safety advice. He probably save a lot of life before the accident happen. Nobody will ever know it. 

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »

Good one, Steve, no good deed will ever got unpunished!
Frankly, I am always amazed that thre have not been more serious accidents at Crow Hill over the years.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »

I am always amazed that thre have not been more serious accidents at Crow Hill over the years.
I lived next to Crow Hill for over twenty years and saw some amazing rappelling shenanigans.

One guy was "speed rappelling" off the 90 foot fishermans wall, face down, when his system burned through his harness and "released him" fifteen feet off the deck. He landed pretty hard but was able to limp to his car and drive away.

On another occasion,Crazy T witnessed this one as well, a guy again rappelling face down but shooting with a large video camera didn't realize "objects are closer than they appear" hit the deck and jammed the camera into his eye socket. Rolled around moaning for a while but not life threatening.

I guess these belong in a " have you ever wanted to end a fellow climbers life"  thread, sorry SA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:15:47 AM by DGoguen »
Don't Climb

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »

I can envision a guy walking around with a lens embedded in his skull.

"You've got a good eye there buddy". Hopefully it was a zoom lens.

DLottmann

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »

I can envision a guy walking around with a lens embedded in his skull.

"You've got a good eye there buddy". Hopefully it was a zoom lens.

Like this guy?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:06:39 PM by DMan »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.