NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safety Concern Near Upper Refuse  (Read 744 times)

JohnR

• NEClimbs Newbie
Safety Concern Near Upper Refuse
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

Two large blocks (bigger than a breadbox) are about to fall from one of the vertical cracks on the scramble just below the Upper Refuse area. 
Maybe one of the guardians of the crag can remove them when it's safe to do so.
In the meantime, be careful.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Safety Concern Near Upper Refuse
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »

I'm not sure where you are talking about? do you mean where you come across the ledge and 5.0 up to the ledge where you actually start U/R?
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »

Yes, where are you talking about exactly? We were just up there this morning, and while I didn't notice anything I wasn't looking for it either. If its near the base of UR I was more attentive to the wet start than what could be loose. Planning on being up there again tomorrow night so I could potentially take care of them then...

darwined

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

I'm not sure where you are talking about? do you mean where you come across the ledge and 5.0 up to the ledge where you actually start U/R?

I don't know if this thread is about the blocks you're referring to Al.  The blocks you reference are coming down soon though.  I almost sent one of them(accidentally) a week ago.

What's below?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:16:33 PM by darwined »

JohnR

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »

Yes, the 5.0 scramble after coming up from Fun House or Bombardment, etc. leading to the Upper Refuse terrace.  The loose blocks are in the left of the two vertical cracks (the off width crack).

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:55:45 AM »

Now I understand...down below. Really more above FH than on UR. I don't think there is any responsible way to trundle from there. Unless they are huge, the best thing is to put them in a pack and move them to a secure location on the upper ledge. I did that with some large rocks on the "trail" coming up from Bombardment about 15 years ago.

To trundle you would need spotters to make sure there isn't anyone in the vicinity, and then need to check afterward that you didn't bash some pins or bolts.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »

Those blocks are pretty big.  I almost sent them down on Saturday.  Microwave sized.  I suppose a few people could move them to the ledge with some care.

darwined

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

Those blocks are pretty big.  I almost sent them down on Saturday.  Microwave sized.  I suppose a few people could move them to the ledge with some care.

This should prolly happen soon.  Those suckers will eff some sh-- up if they go

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

This should prolly happen soon.  Those suckers will eff some sh-- up if they go

OK, well, give the local community a chance to check it out. I'm still trying to figure out where these blocks materialized from... I mean that is a very well traveled area so did they fall from above or something? I'll try to run over there after work tomorrow and see if I can locate them. My guess is they are quite a bit right of the short OW that you can use to link FH to UR? Over in that kinda bushy no man's land?

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »

Just left of the exposed slab traverse to below UR.  I think the rock just loosened up.

JohnR

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »

Just left of the exposed slab traverse to below UR.  I think the rock just loosened up.
That's right.  They're on the short scramble Immediately below the terrace where UR, Black Lung, The Book, etc are.  ... been there forever ... only recently loosened up, apparently.  Thanks guys.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »

Awful lot of rain this summer to erode dirt and loosen things up-- one possible cause!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 24 queries.