NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mt oscar or other reccomendations?  (Read 455 times)

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
mt oscar or other reccomendations?
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »

I've been wanting to get a buddy from work up there.  She's new to climbing and I figured a couple easy climbs and a nice view would make it a good outing.  But, with the weather, would it be good tomorrow?  I want to make sure to have a good experience since she's very new at this.  So wet rock would be a no-go.  Ideas?

MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: mt oscar or other reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »

I've been there the next day after rain and it's pretty dry, but that was mid-summer. This time of year, things dry a lot slower. Plus, there's few easier climbs at Oscar, depending on what your idea of "easy" is. Views aren't all that great either.

A hike up to Sugarloaf might be nicer. The view of Mt Wash is stellar and it gets sun all day. There are a couple 5.6s (at least 1 that I remember) and a nice bolted 5.7. Hike is a good warmup and you can rap into the climbs now that someone threw a 2 bolt anchor in (forgot which climb it serves, but it's down a gully-ish opening in the cliff once you get to the summit).

Enjoy.

mike

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »

Elephant Head is the best easyclimb/view that i know of..just great

The new routes on Mt Webster are good looking as well

Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

i agree with Jon. elephants head has excellent climbing with amazing views down into the notch. the approach is about two minutes and it dries really fast. Bring enough gear to build anchors up top. a short static is nice if you are setting up top ropes.

if you are looking for a hike webster slabs are excellent. multi pitch with comfy ledges and bolted anchors.

Square ledge in pinkham notchis always a good one to...

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

Artists Bluff in Franconia Notch has some good views as well and a couple decent moderates on it
- not as nice as Elephant head though. For a quick dry, not much beats rainbow slabs, and the climbing is really sweet of you like slab.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »

I agree with all of the above-- if she's quite new, there is not much "easy" at Mt. Oscar- I don't remember anything below 5.7, and the only views are of the Zealand Notch wilderness area (wild and attractive) once you top out on the climb. I second the idea of Square Ledge or Elephant's Head for moderate climbing and superb views, as well as fast drying. Agree with frik that Artist Bluff is another good option (head of Franconia Notch).

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »

Thanks for the info.  As far as the view goes, I love it from the top of the Mt.  Oscar climbs just because you can't see any roads.  But those other spots do have nice views, I just wasn't sure about dry time.  We'll probably hit Elephant head  or Rainbow Slabs.  Her hand got jacked by a patient last night so slab may be the order of the day.  Thanks for the input.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »

whatever that bolted thing is just right of Cinema gully.dead easy. not sure if it is dry this time of year? cool easy hike and you might even see the train.

slevasse

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »

whatever that bolted thing is just right of Cinema gully.dead easy. not sure if it is dry this time of year? cool easy hike and you might even see the train.

Hugo's Horror

http://www.neclimbs.com/index.php?PageName=routes&RouteID=1007
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 23 queries.