NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: accident in Tucks on Mt Washington  (Read 587 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: accident in Tucks on Mt Washington
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

Sad event. Condolences to his friends and family.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Right there with you David. Got a call yesterday. A beautiful day with friends and family...this stuff isn't supposed to happen, but we are reminded constantly of the dangers that present themselves in the Mountains. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/man-dies-after-falling-on-mount-washington/-/9857858/22035164/-/30esf6/-/index.html

second death in mountain/climbing for quebec this year and there is less than a thousand climber.

If we open this up to non-fatal incidents I think it might worth it for our friends to the north to help raise general awareness of how deadly Mount Washington can be. A couple weeks ago a few Quebecois broke into the Observatory at 10pm because they were "too cold" and scared to go down. Last year another group broke into a State owned truck to seek shelter on the summit. Fall is a very popular time for Quebecois to visit and climb Mt. Washington, and is one of the busiest times for S&R to get called up there.

I don't mean this to sound prejudice, but as LL is pointing out, I think Quebecois have a higher rate of incidents here percentage wise than Americans, at least in the Fall. And I've certainly noticed a certain air of confidence or cavalier-ness from some of the french speaking groups I've met on the trail... there is a cultural thing at work here I think...

LL, did this get much publicity up in Quebec?

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »

Maybe not publicity, but maybe it will help some family to see there child after a trip in the mountain.

For that one, I agree with you Dman.

Even if I still love to ice climb pinnacle in a snow storm.

;D

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

Dave, I went on escaladequebec.com to see what is the publicity. What I red over two or three accident is that they are always experience climber and the fault is the one of the rock. I had the impression that SA and pappy doubt more of the issue of a climb, that an accident can happen whit all there knowledge, than to him as king of the mountain.

Maybe loosing confidence and trying to understand what going on is some thing good in trad and mountaineering.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:15 PM »

Yes, I agree accidents happen to experienced and newbies alike, and that nature is indifferent to us. Confidence must be tempered with some humility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 23 queries.