General > Climbing Gear Q & A

Tenaya Shoes

(1/2) > >>

old_school:
These things are taking Europe (particularly Spain) in a storm!! Apparently the designer is from Boreal and was responsible for the Laser and Vector (loved both...particularly the Vector!!!)

I was able to take the Tenaya Ra's out for a spin on 3-4 pitches of varying terrain and have to tell you I was very impressed. For the past 4 years I have been solely a Scarpa man...and still love their product, but four pitches up in a somewhat aggressive slightly downturned Velcro shoe on steep slab and I totally forgot that they were on my feet.

Anyone else test drive the Tenayas last weekend during the AAC Cragging Classic? Curious to see what you thought of them.

sneoh:
Chris, how did you size the Ra?  Same numerical size as Vapor V?  Is the heel too loose or too high?
To give you an idea, I wear size 40 Sportiva approach shoes, 38.5 in Katana Lace, and 39.5 in Vapor V.  I could/should have gone with size 39 in the KL tho.  They hurt!!
I am interested in getting a Ra via mail order.

old_school:

--- Quote from: sneoh on September 20, 2013, 12:29:37 PM ---Chris, how did you size the Ra?  Same numerical size as Vapor V?  Is the heel too loose or too high?
To give you an idea, I wear size 40 Sportiva approach shoes, 38.5 in Katana Lace, and 39.5 in Vapor V.  I could/should have gone with size 39 in the KL tho.  They hurt!!
I am interested in getting a Ra via mail order.

--- End quote ---

Hey man!

I take a 43.5/44 in the miura and most Sportivas 44.5/45 in Scarpa and 11 in Five ten. These fit a lot like the five tens but the forefoot is more comfortable. So I just went with a straight 11 and they were perfect! Real nice shoe and they use the XS Grip rubber which I think is fantastic here in NH. This is a short review I wrote up on the Tenayas on Mountain Project:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/tenaya-climbing-shoes/107771333__4#a_108321356

Grammy

old_school:
The heel cup is much better than the Anasazi..really my only gripe with that shoe, but it also comes a bit lower on the heel itself. I did notice some hot spots on my right..but that was 3 hours in a new shoe first time out...I felt nothing on the left. Similar heel cup to the Vapor V's but not as painful. I had a real problem with the heels on the Vapor V's although they did soften up over time.

sneoh:
Yeah, for me, after a couple of hours, the heel on the VV digs in as well.
So it sounds like I should start the Ra off at size 39 for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version