General > Climbing NOT (Bitch & moan)

A note from the Access Fund

(1/6) > >>

Admin Al:
Hey climbers:

A note from the Access Fund -

A breakdown in budget negotiations has caused the federal government to shut down, closing access to many climbing areas across the country. “Essential services” will continue without a budget, but access to federal public lands is now closed at hundreds of locations including iconic climbing areas like Yosemite, Red Rocks, and Rocky Mountain National Park.

National Parks close today and visitors will have 48 hours to leave. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management employees will be furloughed. Any climbing area requiring staff (i.e., with an entrance gate such as Red Rocks near Las Vegas) are likely to be closed as well.

Congress needs to hear how the government shutdown affects their constituents. Use our easy-to-use letter writing tool to contact your Senators and US House Representative to tell them that the government shutdown is having real consequences to your access to public lands.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Access Fund

eyebolter:
So the National Parks are closed, but the NSA is still recording every e-mail you make, Congress and the President are still getting paid, and as far as I can tell none of the troops defending corporate freedom in the 100 + countries they are in are being pulled back.

Some "shutdown." 

Admin Al:
tell that to the 800,000 federal employees who are furloughed, including our friends here on Mt Washington!

Pete Jackson:
First and most importantly: I sent my congressperson a letter in support of the AF's position.

EDITED with updated information from the USFS.

Rumney will not be posted as closed. Climbing access is open. (My wife and I got a few pitches in yesterday afternoon.)

The toilet facilities have been locked as of 10-2-2013, and they WILL NOT BE SERVICED during the shutdown. The RCA is currently working to provide bridge funding for servicing the portable toilets in the small lot. Climbers should continue to use the port-a-johns, but please don't overflow them. If they're overflowing, let the RCA know via climbrumney.com (report a problem).

If you have to go in the woods, PLEASE use wag bags: these will be replenished by the RCA for the duration of shutdown and beyond, since this is an ongoing  program funded by a grant from the AAC.

Trash is being emptied by local volunteers. If you can, please PACK OUT ALL WASTE. If you see a full trash bag, please consider taking it with you and discarding it with your own trash.

Hang tough. And if you see a furloughed USFS ranger, buy them a beer.

eyebolter:

--- Quote from: Admin Al on October 01, 2013, 10:11:43 PM ---tell that to the 800,000 federal employees who are furloughed, including our friends here on Mt Washington!

--- End quote ---

Not meant to minimize the impact on those affected.  It is interesting to see what is "essential" though.  Most Americans would rather have their national parks open than to continue maintaining troops in 150 out of the 196 countries in the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version