Author Topic: A note from the Access Fund  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
A note from the Access Fund
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
Hey climbers:

A note from the Access Fund -

A breakdown in budget negotiations has caused the federal government to shut down, closing access to many climbing areas across the country. “Essential services” will continue without a budget, but access to federal public lands is now closed at hundreds of locations including iconic climbing areas like Yosemite, Red Rocks, and Rocky Mountain National Park.

National Parks close today and visitors will have 48 hours to leave. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management employees will be furloughed. Any climbing area requiring staff (i.e., with an entrance gate such as Red Rocks near Las Vegas) are likely to be closed as well.

Congress needs to hear how the government shutdown affects their constituents. Use our easy-to-use letter writing tool to contact your Senators and US House Representative to tell them that the government shutdown is having real consequences to your access to public lands.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Access Fund
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: A note from the Access Fund
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
So the National Parks are closed, but the NSA is still recording every e-mail you make, Congress and the President are still getting paid, and as far as I can tell none of the troops defending corporate freedom in the 100 + countries they are in are being pulled back.

Some "shutdown." 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:11:43 PM »
tell that to the 800,000 federal employees who are furloughed, including our friends here on Mt Washington!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »
First and most importantly: I sent my congressperson a letter in support of the AF's position.

EDITED with updated information from the USFS.

Rumney will not be posted as closed. Climbing access is open. (My wife and I got a few pitches in yesterday afternoon.)

The toilet facilities have been locked as of 10-2-2013, and they WILL NOT BE SERVICED during the shutdown. The RCA is currently working to provide bridge funding for servicing the portable toilets in the small lot. Climbers should continue to use the port-a-johns, but please don't overflow them. If they're overflowing, let the RCA know via climbrumney.com (report a problem).

If you have to go in the woods, PLEASE use wag bags: these will be replenished by the RCA for the duration of shutdown and beyond, since this is an ongoing  program funded by a grant from the AAC.

Trash is being emptied by local volunteers. If you can, please PACK OUT ALL WASTE. If you see a full trash bag, please consider taking it with you and discarding it with your own trash.

Hang tough. And if you see a furloughed USFS ranger, buy them a beer.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:15:04 PM by Pete Jackson »
We came to climb, not to whine.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
tell that to the 800,000 federal employees who are furloughed, including our friends here on Mt Washington!

Not meant to minimize the impact on those affected.  It is interesting to see what is "essential" though.  Most Americans would rather have their national parks open than to continue maintaining troops in 150 out of the 196 countries in the world.

Offline WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:43 AM »
Eye:

Clearly I would prefer one over the other. Probably not hard to guess what one...

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »

So there's 800,000 non essential federal workers? Am I the only one that thinks this is a grossly large number?

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »
Some of those "non-essential" workers are the same folks who maintain said Nat'l Parks. W/o them, the places would turn into $hitpiles in no time. A lot of those "non-essentials" do very important work that everyone would be pissing and moaning about it would it no be done. The large majority of them are hard working folks who do important jobs. Moreover, they have families to support. Turn your ire towards the folks that deserve it--the jackass politicians.

Eyebolter: Don't forget that some of those "essential" personnel often risk their arses to make sure you have the luxury to spout off on the internet. Take a vacation in one of those fine countries around the world where spouting off on the internet will buy you a couple years of hard labor. Maybe that will realign your perspective.

Hope everyone enjoys their vacation from "big govt".

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Some of those "non-essential" workers are the same folks who maintain said Nat'l Parks. W/o them, the places would turn into $hitpiles in no time. A lot of those "non-essentials" do very important work that everyone would be pissing and moaning about it would it no be done. The large majority of them are hard working folks who do important jobs. Moreover, they have families to support. Turn your ire towards the folks that deserve it--the jackass politicians.

Can't say I fully agree. The National Parks would turn into shitpiles? Nope. The White Mtn. National Forest is proof of that.

I find once you give people a "service", they come to EXPECT it. Never provide the service and the expectation remains low.

I 100% agree that most of the affected people are in fact good hard-working people.

Oh yeah, and both houses of Congress can GO TO HELL.

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »
So, on the subject of national parks.... Anyone know any back ways into Acadia?? Wife and I are heading to Bar Harbor Sunday for a 3 day honeymoon and wanted to climb at Otter Cliffs. I think the Precipice is still accessible from what I recall but I'd love to get to Otter as well as a few other places while we're up there....

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Poach it hard Dan. It's YOUR park.

Offline hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »
So, on the subject of national parks.... Anyone know any back ways into Acadia?? Wife and I are heading to Bar Harbor Sunday for a 3 day honeymoon and wanted to climb at Otter Cliffs. I think the Precipice is still accessible from what I recall but I'd love to get to Otter as well as a few other places while we're up there....

Bicycle!  There's a road from BH that hits the loop road, but I can't remember what highway it is.  Also, there's hiking access to various points in the park in a couple of spots on MDI that are just off various roads that are not part of the park.  Not telling you to trespass in any way or form as that would be illegal.  But man, those carriage roads make a great way to get around the park without a car.

Offline required reading

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »

Eyebolter: Don't forget that some of those "essential" personnel often risk their arses to make sure you have the luxury to spout off on the internet.

Are you suggesting the wars the USA fights nowadays are for freedom?  Those are bull$hit wars fought for oil company and defense contractor profit.  The USA could've had Bin Laden in ten effin minutes but, that wouldn't be profitable now would it?

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »

Are you suggesting the wars the USA fights nowadays are for freedom? 
[/quote]

Not suggesting that at all, re-read my post. You may not agree w/ the foreign policy directives of our administration, but the folks who carry them out don't deserve the negative energy.

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »
Poach it hard Dan. It's YOUR park.

I've poached a lot of climbs in my day, but that was private property and it was poaching. If I wanted to go somewhere that these bozos have 'closed' I would simply ignore the closed signs, tape, gates, barricades, and all the other BS these jerks have put up to keep us out, and that ain't poaching: they're our f--king parks.

For the purposes of the shut down 'non-essential' simply means that they are not involved in matters of life or death or public safety, not that the job isn't important enough to pay someone to do it. That being said, if we somehow lost the Dept. of Commerce (for example) during this I don't think anyone would miss them.

And the growth of government and government compensation over the last few decades under both parties has been appalling. It used to be that deal was that in exchange for greater job security and benefits that government workers accepted lower compensation. No more. Of the six counties in the US that have a median income >$100k, four are in the DC metro area, which by all economic measures escaped nearly all the effects of the 'Great Recession'. Go figure. While incomes of most in the private sector have stagnated over the last thirteen years (declined over the last five), it has exploded for federal workers, and especially for the bureaucrat administrators who spend their time shuffling papers. When benefits are included, government workers now make significantly more than counterparts in the private sector.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.