Author Topic: Eaglet - 1st Pitch  (Read 1526 times)

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Eaglet - 1st Pitch
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »
I've climbed the Eaglet a half dozen times or so over the years but it's been at least ten years or longer since the last time. I went up today and did the first pitch as described on Mt. Project and damn the moves by the pin on the first pitch sure were pretty hard. Harder than I remembered. Plus there was a second pin out right that wasn't even used.

So that got me to thinking was I actually on the right first pitch. Webster's first edition guide says access west gulley to the base of the chimney. Which is the way I probably climbed it the first time I climbed it as it's a bit of a thrash. The other times I have climbed rock to the gulley but again do not remember it being as hard as it felt today. Webster's guide also has a South Face route without a grade but with almost the same description as MP. I also thought it might have been the start to Peregrine ArÍte but it's not.

So does anybody know what the grade of the first pitch is that I did today and is that the normal start these days? Or did I miss something somewhere.

Or I guess it could be I'm just getting older (and a bit jet lagged having just gotten home from a business trip to Belgium).

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Offline tim03303

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Eaglet - 1st Pitch
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
I've always climbed as you described.  Up on some blocky moves, a stretching step left and then up with a couple side pulls, 5.6ish.  The second pin (had some tat last time) is a red herring.

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
That first pitch is awkward 5.7 with the crux moves pretty close to the ground, then eases up a bit as it gets into a bit of a right facing corner with some loose stuff towards the end... A good pitch I think and I usually do it that way now rather than soloing up the scrappy 4th class gully, which would be wise to use a rope on if not "feeling it". As for more specific beta, all I can recall is after clipping the 1st pin look to traverse left a bit as soon as possible... it's a bit heady, but all the holds are there....

EDIT: yup, good photo posted by Tim

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:21 AM »
I've climbed the Eaglet a half dozen times or so over the years but it's been at least ten years or longer since the last time. [...] Harder than I remembered. Plus there was a second pin out right that wasn't even used.[...]Thanks everyone for your feedback.

you too getting old

sniff!!!

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:09:53 AM »
Thanks guys! At least I was on the right pitch. And my gear was the same as in Tim's pic. I'd just would have liked to find his 5.6 ish moves! Maybe I climbed a bit too high before traversing left. Now I've just got to remember to traverse left sooner the next time.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
Pretty sure The pin out right is the start of the Ed Webster 9+

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:42 AM »
Is this out in Franconia Notch?  With Salt Packed Pig Sack or something like that (Jon Sykes/J. Cunningham route?)?
That crag looks too fun, alpine-y with loose stuff and good views. 

Cool pic.
Dale
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:59:22 AM by perswig »
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
Is this out in Franconia Notch?  With Salt Packed Pig Sack or something like that (Jon Sykes/J. Cunningham route?)?
That crag looks too fun, alpine-y with loose stuff and good views. 

Cool pic.
Dale

This is the only free standing spire in New Hampshire and a must do! A great moderate day out there for me that I've repeated many times is:

1) Route 66.... rap
2) Salt Pack Pig Sack... rap
3) Finish climbing Eaglet via original start + West Chimney

oh and...

4) Woodstock Brewery for happy hour.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
...no climbing trip to Franconia Notch or anywhere else for that matter is complete if the drive home take you down 93 south and you don't stop at the Woodstock Brewery! Great beer and half price appetizers between 3:00 and 5:00!

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
...Great beer and half price appetizers between 3:00 and 5:00!

I time my trail-head time and bail time based off this fact...

Offline slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
 d man there is a 45-55 ft free standing pillar in the woods not sure if it has been climbed yet. M Sprague would know.
bailing is not failing!!!

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
I would?  I am drawing a blank at the moment.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Roger's spire? - hello!

also: the beer at woostock station is blandly boring in a repetitively redundant manner.

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
Roger's spire? - hello!

also: the beer at woostock station is blandly boring in a repetitively redundant manner.

Roger' Spire, is a detached "flake" at best... really shouldn't be called "Spire", but meh...

I agree Woodstock Brew is getting quite blah, but the half-off apps are still worth the stop!

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
...back on topic - thanks for the feedback and setting me straight! I was on the right first pitch but just went at it a little bit differently than I probably should have.