NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any government shutdown effects in the Whites?  (Read 1159 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Any government shutdown effects in the Whites?
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »

Has anybody noticed any climbing areas or access roads being closed in the White Mountains? For me, I am specifically wondering if there would be a chance Sawyer River Rd, would be gated.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: Any government shutdown effects in the Whites?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »

I haven't seen any USFS gates closed, but I haven't been far. I don't know specifically about Sawyer River Road, but according to WMUR:

At the White Mountains National Forest, federal welcome and ranger stations will be closed, but there is no admission gate, so visitors will still be able to enter and drive through the park. There are private and state visitor centers that will still offer maps and guidance. National Forest campgrounds in the park are also open, because they're operated by a vendor.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/politics/government-shutdown-whats-open-closed-in-new-hampshire/-/9857748/22212024/-/porprkz/-/index.html#ixzz2gXuJJXL5

And according to a WMNF spokesperson quoted in this article: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/1017405-469/government-shutdown-hatchery-closed-airport-open-white.html

Forest Service spokeswoman Colleen Mainville said about 95 percent of the workforce were to be sent home – including office administrators, people who maintain trails, and janitors who clean the restrooms in visitor information centers.

Unlike a national park, the forest isn’t gated, so it will remain open for visitors, although the information center will probably be closed and some outhouses and isolated restrooms may have to be shut, Mainville said.

“The White Mountains will be open for leaf peeping,” she said

I think that at this time, access in the WMNF looks pretty good.
We came to climb, not to whine.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

Thanks. I had called the FS before the shutdown to check if gate closings was a possibility and the person who answered didn't think so, but they also didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the shutdown, so I wasn't really assured.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »

they also didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the shutdown

That's a little disturbing...
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »

Any effects? Several of my friends have been furloughed. That's enough for me...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »

Update: The toilets in the main lot in Rumney are locked.

The porta-potties are not locked, and are relatively empty (don't ask how I know). The RCA is trying to get the vendors who service the porta-pots to let us pay for them in the meantime. This was Mark Sprague's idea, and a great one! He deserves the credit for getting the ball rolling. Thanks Mark!  It's likely that we'll pay for at least one or two visits by the big stinky poop truck.

Local volunteers are emptying the trash bins and taking the garbage to the Rumney Transfer Station. If you can pack out your waste, it helps. If you can pack out a bag of garbage from the bins and replace the garbage bag, please do so: this is a huge help.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:53 PM »

I wish we could have all the poop pumped into the offices and front lawns of the T-bag polticians and maybe the folks who voted the freaks in.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »

I wish we could have all the poop pumped into the offices and front lawns of the T-bag polticians and maybe the folks who voted the freaks in.

++
Al Hospers

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

Amen. I was talking to a friend who lives in DC, where trash pickup was suspended in the last shutdown in the 1990s. We decided that the front steps of the Capitol Building would make a good temporary transfer station until the shutdown ends. (Although, to be fair, I think that's illegal, so we're really just making a joke. Right?)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »

Update: The toilets in the main lot in Rumney are locked.

The porta-potties are not locked, and are relatively empty (don't ask how I know). The RCA is trying to get the vendors who service the porta-pots to let us pay for them in the meantime. This was Mark Sprague's idea, and a great one! He deserves the credit for getting the ball rolling. Thanks Mark!  It's likely that we'll pay for at least one or two visits by the big stinky poop truck.

Local volunteers are emptying the trash bins and taking the garbage to the Rumney Transfer Station. If you can pack out your waste, it helps. If you can pack out a bag of garbage from the bins and replace the garbage bag, please do so: this is a huge help.

Great idea, but I'll bet the FS won't allow it.  The purpose of this is for us to feel the effects.  They could eliminate the entire Department of Education (which doesn't educate a single person) and few would complain.   

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »

Didn't the RCA pay for Porta-Potties at Rumney in the past with no issue, Ward?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »

They could eliminate the entire Department of Education (which doesn't educate a single person) and few would complain.

eyes rolling...head shaking...sighing...
Al Hospers

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »

UPDATE: The day use fee collection tubes at Rumney are taped closed, and posted with a USFS sign that says, "No Fee Required In This Area".

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »

They could eliminate the entire Department of Education (which doesn't educate a single person) and few would complain.

eyes rolling...head shaking...sighing...

Ward is a scorpio. They really get into conspiracy shit. You have to cut him some slack. ::) ;D

I am sure one could find many problems in the Dept of Ed., but without it we would probably have a lot more kids being only indoctrinated to be nice little ignorant Christian-Talaban.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:01:02 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

Hell, I just bought the latest sticker so I won't have to pay for parking at Rumney every time I go.  Only if I had known ...... :)

Ward is an anarchist. Or just someone who has a "problem with authority".  :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.