NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Route 66  (Read 288 times)

ToddSH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Route 66
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »

Just wondering if you need any big gear for this route, like something bigger than a #3.  It has been a long time since I have been up there.  Thanks.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
Re: Route 66
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »

Nope.... #2 is biggest thing you need....

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »

Actually a #3 Blue camalot comes in mighty handy on P1 (beware the local who has things wired as they sometimes under estimate the onsight dificulty) the real critical beta is to avoid the direct grass and bushes R/X approach. hike left along the base of the cliff for 20m to a sheltered ledge next to a block. from here you can do a much more secure 5.3 approach  with just a little bit of brushy /loose rock scambleing on the move to the right just before the base of the climb.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:01:12 PM »

spot on beta tradman, that grass gully sucks... and if you are comfortable on 5.3 I think you can leave the #3 at home but YMMV

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »

Did Not count that as P1. that is the approach?  i use big blue in the wide crack after the initial slab  to protect the Akward and somewhat strenous  move up the big flake. YMMV obviously but I would not steer someone up there with no 3" piece unless they were pretty hard and dead set on traveling light.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »

When it all comes down to it no harm in carrying a #3 for an on-sight right?

Iíve do this in 2 pitches, traverse left to the nice flat rope up ledge, long, almost 190 foot pitch to the bolts (using long slings), then 2nd pitch....

Really good idea to scope this route out from the bike path IMO, they even have a metered spotting scope thing there you can use for .50 cents...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.