NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Local pubs  (Read 649 times)

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Local pubs
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »

...blandly boring equals consistent! Agreed you can find better beers but overall their beers for each beer type are decent. And the pub grub is the best! And Rachel is great!

DLottmann

Re: Re: Local pubs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »

And they got a really nice outside patio... wow, topic drift...

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »

My problem with N.W. Brewery is they use the same yeast for most of their beers (so it all starts to taste the same to me), their seasonals are retarded (maple porter I mean WTF?), and they had the same beers for like 10 years -- although they do seem to be trying to change that more recently.

Other than that the beer is decent, I'm just bored with it.

EDIT: They do have several of the best bartenders in NH. (The dude that works weekends there and at the Cannon pub in the winter might be the greatest of all time bartender - super fast.) The Moat should think about stealing them because they need competent help at the bar.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:54:15 AM by JBrochu »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

EDIT: They do have several of the best bartenders in NH. (The dude that works weekends there and at the Cannon pub in the winter might be the greatest of all time bartender - super fast.) The Moat should think about stealing them because they need competent help at the bar.

back off topic, The Red Parka's got some pretty damn skilled bartenders, but the food is a bit over priced and not as good as the Moat IMO...

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »

Dave, I have to disagree about relative merits of food at the Moat & the Parka-- I say the Parka wins hands down! NOW we're into thread drift!! ;D

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »

While we are at it the food at Mae Kelleys is pretty dece and they have the live Irish  folk music on Sundays .....
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »

Who cares about food? Get back on topic please -- beer.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »

Dave, I have to disagree about relative merits of food at the Moat & the Parka-- I say the Parka wins hands down! NOW we're into thread drift!! ;D

I might be prejudiced since I waited tables at the Parka for 4+ years. While their steaks canít be beat they donít get too creative, but it is a good meal. Check average for 2 people is definitely higher at the Parka.

One thing both Mae Kellyís and Parka have over the Moat though is nice outdoor patios. Mae Kellyís has a great view of the cliffs.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

Dave- I agree that my check average for two people is higher at the Parka-- I go there for drinks and a meal, often followed by good music-- I go to the Moat for after-climb beers and a snack (pizza or sweet potato fries). Steak, decent fish specials and ribs and a good salad bar are usually more expensive than apps.  8)

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »

The beef brisquet chili at the moat is the best.
Violet B's on tap, created on site, oh baby.

The Parka is classic, don't get me wrong, and Mae Kelley's deck is awesome, but Irish food, seriously? :o
Don't Climb

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »

the wife & I have been to Mae Kelly's many times, but don't go there for dinner any more. the food just isn't very good in our opinion. we like Delaney's, the Parka, the Moat and the 2 Thai restaurants.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

...and if you're in the Crawford Notch area - Fabyan's Station has OK pub grub (good burgers) and a decent albeit small selection of beers. And when at Rumney its usually a stop at the Panther Pub in Plymouth.

But I think one of my best finds is Kathleen's Cottage in Bristol - after ice climbing at Newfound Ledge. Great selection of whiskey's, very good beer selection in bottles and tap (had my first ever Bellhaven Scottish Ale on tap there) and what is arguably my favorite burger in NH. Angus beef from VT along with VT cheddar and Irish rashers from an Irish butcher in Boston (essentially Irish bacon). Can't wait for ice climbing season to begin!

JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

Tuckerman's Tavern is one of my favorites.  Good beer and usually not too swamped like the Moat sometimes.  Big open bar  and good size restaurant. 

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »

marknvh, Kathleenís Cottage sounds sweet, a recent visit to Montpelier and Burlington VT enlightened me to how behind MWV is when it comes to excellent local sourced dining...

JChepes, having bartended for 2 years at Tuckermanís Tavern I can say that is a sweet bar. It has gone through a few ownership changes in the last 6 years and while the food is usually consistent itís been my impression servers are not always hired based on skill, but how they are on the eyes... ďjail baitĒ comes to mind, but I think theyíve stepped it up a bit... another nice outdoor patio option in the summer!

While a short drive from No. Co. my wife and I have really enjoyed 302 Roadhouse in Fryeburg the last two summers... great outdoor deck overlooking the backside of Green Hills Preserve (backside of Black Cap & Cranmore), and they have excellent smoked food, great beer selection, quality servers, and some of the best mid-week specials around....

Jonathanís Pub in the Oxford House is worth a visit to for tapa type meals and great mixed drinks...

andyposter76

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »

Can't wait tables if you're jailbait. You have to be 18 to serve alcohol. Therefore, in response to that last observation, if it serves you a beer then you can sleep with it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 23 queries.