NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Echo Crag: new trail work & Hone Wall Facelift.  (Read 476 times)

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Echo Crag: new trail work & Hone Wall Facelift.
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »

Echo Crag has had some trail work done over the past few weekends by the Valhalla Group and others. This includes two new ladders along  the Square Inch Wall, improvements between the first band of cliff and the Hone Wall area, and the large blow down tree (that was obstructing right side of the Hone Wall) has been cut out.

On the Hone Wall the original FA'ers have added lead bolts to the following climbs: Center Line (5.7), NCO Take Off (5.10, left of No Pigs), Race Day (5.9+), Rain Dance (5.9+), and Just Roof'n Around (5.11).  When these lines where first done we only had a few bolts at our disposal and therefore judicially and sparely placed them, thus creating R+-rated climbs. It was not our original intention to create R-rated climbs. We were just short on cash and lots of routes to send! In fact, after putting up a route we would take the hangers off the newly installed bolts and use them on the next first ascent. The Hone Wall has some fine climbing and we had noticed through the years that the Hone Wall has seen very little traffic except for the few that have the skill and head to lead R+-rated routes. Don't expect to find Rumney sport clip-ups. Be sure to carry smaller cams and wires (Lowe Balls have good use here) besides just quick draws. You still have to earn your clips. There are some other Hone Wall climbs that will also be opened up for reasonable safe and enjoyable leads. The climbs will still have plenty of spice to them. No Pigs btw will stay as is.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:28:33 PM by smartpig »
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Re: Echo Crag: new trail work & Hone Wall Facelift.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »

Next Photos:
1. Jamie bolting Center Line (it has a two-bolt anchor that was installed by the White Mountain School- could use chains). I led Fiddling Jim to the right and found it takes all gear abet with small gear and craftyness (sliders, small cams and wires, and tri-cams- equalized nut placements...not your straight forward placements).

2. At some point Spring line will get 2 or 3 bolts and an anchor. Gareth Slattery doing the left-hand start to Spring Line (just left of Center Line).

3. Scott Lovell, climbing Rain Dance at the Hone Wall.
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »

nice job guys. good thing you're not doing this in the MWV tho! [LOL]
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »

Thanks for all the work! That is a great place to climb! Highest concentration of moderate trad routes in NH I think.

No Pigs is such an amazing on-sight thin 5.8, one of my favorite NH routes. Also love the Arete and Buck-Toothed CS. Pulling out that roof on 5.7 jugs is just awesome!

jlecours

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »

Thank you for the trail work, maintenance, and new routes!  Fuck the haters! ::)

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »

Thanks for all the work! That is a great place to climb! Highest concentration of moderate trad routes in NH I think.

No Pigs is such an amazing on-sight thin 5.8, one of my favorite NH routes. Also love the Arete and Buck-Toothed CS. Pulling out that roof on 5.7 jugs is just awesome!

I placed the bolts on No Pigs prior to Mr.Smartpig's "on-sight" of the climb. I gave him a chitload of beta as he climbed. Hence, it is a "tainted" on-sight.

kenreville

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »

lol JC

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »

I placed the bolts on No Pigs prior to Mr.Smartpig's "on-sight" of the climb. I gave him a chitload of beta as he climbed. Hence, it is a "tainted" on-sight.

Well great job! Seriously think this is the perfect heady safe 5.8+ lead around... making the crux moves has just the right amount of spice IMO... if you think you are a solid 5.9 sport climber jump on this route... it will get your attention without un-necessary fear.

Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »

thanks to your crew for all the work, a lot of fun stuff there!

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »

Nice job Jamie! et al.
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.