Author Topic: Autumn Tears 5.9 Humphreys Ledge Geriatric wall  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Autumn Tears 5.9 Humphreys Ledge Geriatric wall
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Nice job on this route guys; Chris Graham and I (his lead on P2!) repeated this yesterday and found it good (and burly indeed :P)! Jeff Lea

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
Nice job on this route guys; Chris Graham and I (his lead on P2!) repeated this yesterday and found it good (and burly indeed :P)! Jeff Lea

I would say 5.9+ off the deck. I stayed pretty true to the line that David suggested and did not stem out right. Thought it was a burly start...lots of fun and a nice addition to that side of the cliff. Takes great small gear after the last bolt too!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
Really happy you guys enjoyed it!  ;D
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
Really happy you guys enjoyed it!  ;D

Fun route! kept my attention right to the anchor!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
Il love it.. a NH sport route that requires gear !!  Good job

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
Il love it.. a NH sport route that requires gear !!  Good job

If there was gear we did not add a bolt: they way it should be!

;)....I hate to admit it but this is my first route I had a hand in establishing. I am very happy it has gotten the positive response it has.
Ed Matt

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
Just shittin' you Ed

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
I've found that a number of parties have been surprised to find that the "bolted section" of Humphreys ledge (AKA to many of us as the "Geriatric Wall")  requires a "modern rack" in many cases-- there are a few climbs which only require draws, but most of the routes will be scary or dangerous, depending on the leader's abilities/experience if he/she doesn't carry gear. An advantage these days is that most of the route descriptions feature a "recommended gear list". Don't carry anything but sport draws at your peril! 8)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
As it should be  "sport/trad"

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
I've found that a number of parties have been surprised to find that the "bolted section" of Humphreys ledge (AKA to many of us as the "Geriatric Wall")  requires a "modern rack" in many cases-- there are a few climbs which only require draws, but most of the routes will be scary or dangerous, depending on the leader's abilities/experience if he/she doesn't carry gear. An advantage these days is that most of the route descriptions feature a "recommended gear list". Don't carry anything but sport draws at your peril! 8)
    I can understand how you might think that. I know I made it very clear that this route needed trad gear....not much but it is needed. As you mentioned; most of the routes there have very good gear listing right here in the "routes" section. So with a small amount of research no one should be caught off guard.
    I have really never thought of the Geriatric wall as a strictly sport climbing area anyway: no ones bolting any cracks out there.

Ed Matt

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »
Got on this yesterday, thinking it was Yellowjacket.  All I had was the Handren guide, so I was looking at the next right over from Easy as Instant Pudding Pie and didn't remember this description being posted.  I was wondering why there were bolts above the ring anchors though.... ::)  I did snug up one of the anchor bolts (the one on the left, I think) and the first bolt above the anchor received the same attention from the wrench as well. 

Definitely a nice route (at least the first pitch).  It didn't take me too long to get the bottom moves figured out, but my foot-shorter-than-me wife took an extra couple of seconds when she followed. :D  FWIW, one of my kids did this on TR with a variation on the start by starting on the bottom slabby section of Pudding Pie and angling over from there.  Seemed to work for him fairly well.